Home > Trip Reports > March 25, 2018, Jim Hill Mountain

March 25, 2018, Jim Hill Mountain

3/25/18
Posted by H2oskier on 3/25/18 5:45am
Excellent skiing and conditions at Jim Hill yesterday. My wife and I left the nordic center at about 8:15 and broke trail as it lightly snowed. Reached the ridge about 11:00 and merged with the skin track from several Henry Creek groups who were ahead. The snow was about 10 inches of pole penetration on a medium firm crust and only wind effected in areas. We watched a group ski the bowl and spoke to some one who skied down from the summit. We traversed east into the bowl at about 6500 feet and skied soft snow in bomber conditions and were treated to sun breaks the rest of the afternoon. The snow skied well down to about 4000 feet where the crust was harder and the snow more set up. Crossed over to the east side of the creek and we were still able to make turns all the way to the access road. We skied back to the nordic center on the shoulder and walked the remaining 1/4 mile. Favorable snow, weather and freezing levels are making for some great skiing right now.
Nice to meet ya, it was a splitter day. We ended up doing a few summit laps. Too good to leave.

It sure did turn into a great day.  The visibility, the snow, the sun......It was all good!  You also said "Hi" to my wife in the up track, who later commented "That guy was stoked!".  Looks like the forecast is calling for more of the same the next few days.  Happy turns.......

Sunday 3/25 update:

An injury question mark had us bail from full day plans deep in the woods for a half day afield off the Jim Hill Bowl.

The existing skinners kept it easy on us and we did the Lanham/Henry loop with two laps in 4:34, including the walk back to the nordic center. Around 5k and 8.5 miles with the walk and a couple snack breaks.

Lots of rigs around Nason Ridge and the Arrowhead parking indicate folks taking advantage of the excellent conditions.

Reply to this TR

march-25-2018-jim-hill-mountain
H2oskier
2018-03-25 12:45:04