Home > Forum > Whistler/Blackcomb Alltime powder day 3/23/18

Whistler/Blackcomb Alltime powder day 3/23/18

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Mar 2018 14:41 #226829 by avajane
Didn't have time or inclination to even snap a picture. Drank water and free tablespoon of honey for lunch. These days come along infrequently, as the combination of snow depth,
new snow, density of snow, steepness, partners, abilities, gear, fitness, length of slope, visibility.....etc....has to be just right.

My first run of the day was my 4th run in 24 hours, down an area I call Peak to Peak Trees. Blizzard up top, turned to skiable thigh deep snow in Bagle Bowl. Once in the trees, super deep pillows were everywhere on the steep. We were able to ride an extremely steep line, only checking speed by small turns, and hitting the face shot drifts and pillows. My group of 2 skiers and a boarder stayed in 50 yard contact by whoops of joy after turn after perfect turn.

We gathered at a road and hopped into the next bunch of steeper and more tightly spaced trees. Again, the deep snow allowed for an aggressive line thru difficult slots and terrain changes. After another section of road, we dived into several miles of powder bumps zig zagging thru the tops of small trees. As all the bumps were made by riders good enough to be in this area, the zipper lines were a no brainer to ride. It almost seemed effortless to stay in the grove and just keep pounding away.

My last "real" run of the day was in a semi hidden spot, in the Spankeys Ladder area of Blackcomb. The sun made a brief appearance as we rode low angle, undulating steps of perfect deep powder, towards the very steep "business" of the route. Being on snow this deep and soft on a pitch this steep, sums up what I love about west coast skiing. Even though cut up, every turn was cushioned, and skiing the steep with abandon was the only way to do it! My heart was full, and I finally stopped to take what would have been a nice, sorta sunset picture, of my friends "S" turning towards me thru their own spindrift. Instead, even though my heart was full...my I Phone was frozen...and no pictures of that day were taken.â›·

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2018 17:09 #222104 by CD
Oh, I'm jealous! Days like that at Whistler are priceless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.