Home > Trip Reports > February 12, 2006, Nisqually Chutes

February 12, 2006, Nisqually Chutes

2/12/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by blitz on 2/12/06 10:14pm
Cool tour and great skiing yesterday NISQUALLY CHUTES on the south face of Mt Rainier 8)!  With RonJ, Maddog, JW, Jen, Darryl (we missed you Scotty) we went to Paradise on a brilliantly sunny Sunday.  On the way there we read the whimsical weather/avi report (those guys must be bored - probably should be doing yard work to keep busy instead).

Paradise parking lot was sunny and warm and empty - we left our gortex and goggles behind and started skinning up - stripping layers and adding sunscreen every hundred feet until arms were bare.  As we climbed at a leisurely pace, we spied three dudes swinging a wide arc around us and steamrolling past to the throat of the chutes at 8400ft.  There they waited cautiously and politely as we ambled up, then introduced themselves as Andy, John and Dan - they were notably well dressed and exemplary young skiers - and a satisfactory addition to our expedition as instead of taking first tracks they fell in with our group.

We dug a snow pit which exposed ice crusts at 5 in and 30 in - layers above and below were confirmed on shovel shear test however were very cohesive with crusts per shovel compression test which resulted in no failure.  Since we were on 42 degree slope we did not do Rutschblock test.

Jerry - our filmographer dropped into the chute first skiing the first several hundred feet of HERO CORN SNOW on the 42 degree south facing slope with grace.  It was perfect!  After that we had another couple thousand feed of equally nice corn snow on 35 degree slopes.  We then crossed high over the Nisqually Glacier to its western lateral moraine (skier's right) descending several hundred feet along the glacier where the snow thickened.  There we stood finally in the big gully looking back up at the snout of the glacier, SAGOY!  

But the adventure was not over yet, there was excellent snow coverage along the river all the way back to the bridge.  We made two exciting though uneventful river crossings (it never before occurred to me you could just wade in a river in ski boots and your feet would stay dry).  We then climbed up the old road on the skiers left to the bridge.  

Very exciting!  Excellent snow!  Great sunny day with huge views of Southern Cascades and volcanoes.  RonJ and Maddog said "WE HIT IT PERFECT!"  I don't think I have ever had such fun in one day of skiing ;D!  Scotty - and JibberD - we missed you - Har Har Har ;) (Maddog told me to write that).
Nice Blitz!  That sounds like the exact day of skiing we had in the Chutes on Saturday.  Serious hero corn -- glad someone else got some of it.  We did the more "adventurous" right-handed exit at the bridge -- we learned that the left side is the way to go...

Blitz,I was with your husband looking after our respective kids and dogs while you where out having a good time >:( Glad you had a great day and the chutes have always been on my hit list and you beat me to it.
JibberD will be sorry he missed it although he may be powder skiing in Brooklyn by the sound of the weather report.
Looking forward to the viddy JW.
Nice work guys.

Next time grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! ;D

Great TR, Alisa.
The weather certainly cooperated with us on that one.
Based on the forecast I was expecting things to cloud over any minute but we didn't see a cloud up there until we got down to the bridge.
John, Andy and Dan, nice to meet you guys and thanks for the extra company crossing the glacier.
Here's a shot of the gang coming down the galcier snout:

More pics HERE.
Great tour, gang.

Edit to fix pic link

uh-huh, i'd say great tour too!  looks pretty spring-like up there...you guys always bring out the sunshine.  ;)  jw, nice job working the 'camera man clause' so that you get first dibs on freshies!  yeah!  8)

You know when your standing at the top of that chute....you have to ask yourself... am I really Nisqually-fied?? 8)  

Outstanding day, great friends! Sorry if I missed anyone....Jerry

It was great meeting up with all you guys before the chute and thanks for showing us the safe way to get off the glacier as well. The river crossings at the end did get a bit interesting. I guess we somehow missed you guys at the Paradise lot on the way out.

That was one good run!

-John

Jerry - GREAT film and music.  What a great ski tour!!

I was considering going with John and Andy...... and I'm now kicking myself for having let other stuff/events get in the way!!!   >:(  ;D
sounds like a blast.

...... and I'm now kicking myself for having let other stuff/events get in the way!!!   >:(  ;D
sounds like a blast.

Sorry you missed out on one of the "best" Nisqually skis. It would have been fun to meet and ski with you too.

It was a great day, the weather was perfect and the skiing was awesome in the chutes and along the whole length of the glacier ;D down to the bridge.  If this weather stays warm like it's been, with no build up of new snow, there may be more than a couple of river crossing's in the very near future.  I have added a few more photos HERE.  Great Video J  ;D.

Great trip report and video.  Looks like Sierra corn conditions.  ;)

Zap(in the Sierras)

You know when your standing at the top of that chute....you have to ask yourself... am I really Nisqually-fied?? 8)  ...Jerry

Great video, as usual, Jerman.  It certainly deserves first tracks  ;)

Didn't you miss me?  Maybe I'm not enuf of a regular. I talked to Elisa in person yesterday @ the climbing gym and checked out the report.  Looked great, and oh so different from what this weekend might be.  Stay tuned for some reports from Baker BC.  cheers

Reply to this TR

february-12-2006-nisqually-chutes
blitz
2006-02-13 06:14:47