Home > Trip Reports > Mar 18, 2018, Slalok Mtn

Mar 18, 2018, Slalok Mtn

3/18/18
Posted by discostew on 3/20/18 10:32pm
After being clouded and snowed off the summit of Slalok twice last season, I've been trying to hit it all winter, but weather has again not been lining up for me. Finally, on one of the first high pressure weekends in memory, I was able to get back up there. Many others apparently had the same idea. We counted 17 in total on the ascent, and were a bit dismayed to see 13 ahead of us ascending to the Matier glacier when we got to Upper Joffre Lake. But we made decent time and managed to drop in about 5th and 6th from the summit.

Snow was a bit wind affected and the main choke down to the lake was pretty tracked, but it was still glorious. I couldn't have asked for better weather. The views from the top of any of the Joffre group peaks are always spectacular. So glad to have finally gotten this tour under my belt, and the spring touring season has just begun!

https://vimeo.com/261083203

The Stonecrop glacier from Upper Joffre Lake. A 1000m true north-facing gem of a line.

Ascending to the Matier glacier over refrozen solar-triggered wet slide debris. A couple seracs released from the icefall on the right later that afternoon. Thankfully, no one was in its path at the time. The Stonecrop on the right.

Fellow weekend warriors heading to Slalok's east ridge

Matier in the shade

Almost at the ridge

Bootpacking up a short steep section to gain the ridge. Summit in view on the right

Surface hoar growing in sheltered areas. The summit at center

The expanse of the coast range

Spetch in the foreground, Matier looming behind

Acceptable snow

Obligatory "we rode that" shot
Best post EVER!!!!!!!!

Glad I rode that a couple times 10 years ago. What a zoo!! #interwebs kill

Great looking acceptable snow!

Awesome to say the least!

Great conditions for Slalock.

Thanks for the TR.

author=Pinch link=topic=40297.msg160623#msg160623 date=1521641917]
Glad I rode that a couple times 10 years ago. What a zoo!! #interwebs kill

Yeah it's really picked up around here in the last couple years. But such is the nature of touring within 300 km of a major urban centre. It would have been nice to have the mtn all to ourselves but the vibe up there was pretty fun with everyone so stoked to be up there on such a nice day. Plus I got to party run the runout with a charging dog (see video)

One of my all-time faves!  Thanks for the fond memory enhancement report and photos!

Nice vid!  Love it when the shadow lines up that way, and the dog! 

Reply to this TR

mar-18-2018-slalok-mtn
discostew
2018-03-21 05:32:43