Home > Trip Reports > February 12, 2005, Kendall Ridge

February 12, 2005, Kendall Ridge

2/12/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by gusk on 2/12/06 4:04am
Well, given the reports of bullet-proof snow; Rodger, Stephanie and I decided on a south facing aspect where we knew the sun would be able to do it's work and we wouldn't have to invest ourselves in a long drive.

With an insanely early start of 9:30 from the car at Exit 53, we started skinning up on the bullet-proof through the woods.  I've been to Kendall Ridge when there are 50+ backcountry skiiers there, and was amazed by the lack of crowds all day.  It sorta made me question my judgement in picking this spot.  By the afternoon, we did see several groups but only about 9 other skiers/snowboarders made it to the top of the ridge for turns.

It was warm and beautiful on the ridge.  We skinned up on the SE side figuring that it would be easier to get traction skinning on the melting side.  Our first two runs were on that SE side.  First turns were great.  Second time around, we started figuring we would move towards the west with the sun.  For the rest of our runs, the top parts of the ridge were great corn with easy turns on the steeper slopes.  Lower angle and lower down got a little thicker.
There wasn't any wind except on the very top of the ridge, and that didn't really start until about 12:30 or so.  Actually, it was a nice break from the warmth and probably helped the turns a bit.

We did a couple more runs on the south facing part of the top before deciding that we were ready to make one last run.  It definitely looked like it was warm enough to ski the north facing back side of the ridge around 2pm or so; but we were kept busy and happy on the south side.

On the way out, the bottom of the clearcut was quite heavy to turn in. Inside the old growth trees, it was survival skiing as usual, to get out.  Anything that had steps or tracks in it was bullet proof in the trees.  There were some softer spots, so maybe folks found some N facing tree runs today in other areas?
We were amazed to find that it was only 3:30 or so when we got back to the car, what a great quick spot.

Great day outside in the mountains, with plenty of snow and great views.

Good call for the day. I think we saw you guys up on the top on one of your laps. We headed out a little earlier than you guys and the woods were actually pretty turnable at around 2:30. Pretty efficient little clearcut tour when the conditions are right.

We hit the trees at the bottom of the run, I think part of it is the terrain down there.

It is very bumpy and folded land.

Reply to this TR

february-12-2005-kendall-ridge
gusk
2006-02-12 12:04:25