Home > Trip Reports > Februray 11, 2006-Cannon Mountan-Cannon Couloir

Februray 11, 2006-Cannon Mountan-Cannon Couloir

2/15/06
Posted by Tony_Bentley on 2/12/06 12:59am
Cannon Mountain photo in the spring of 2005 taken from Icicle Ridge.

The forecast was on our side for once! Matt and I left Seattle at about 3:45 and made it to Mountaineer Creek and the end of Icicle Creek road by 7am with another quick stop to refuel with Starbucks. The skin to the Stuart Lake trailhead was easy and went quickly. I was so anxious to get going that I left Matt at the car. Although it took me near an hour and a half, I only had to wait for 20 minutes before Matt arrived.

We left the road and began the approach up Cannon using the old logging road that went up and around which made it easy to skin and took a couple of hours before the end. At the switchback near the end of the grade, we left the road and began up the slopes, switchbacking through breakable crust and hoping that the sun would melt the frozen layer on top of the good snow.

In another two hours we were beginning to see the upper cliff bands and the summit of Cannon. Before the last thousand feet we decided to take a break, refuel and enjoy the last of the sun.

The Colchuck and Dragontail col was visible for a second.

Matt in front of Cashmere Mountain. The North face is the highest pyramid.

When we made it to the entrance of the couloir, it was pushing 4pm so we only had about an hour and a half to find the road again but time felt like it was on our side today. I dropped in and made my first turn, feeling the crust but also seeing softer snow in the center. At the center I could make nice tele-turns and decided to stop for Matt and snap a couple of pics.

The couloir looked great!

Matt made it look easy! Really it wasn't that bad for having a solid crust. Some snow was giving way so as long as you didn't lose a edge, everything was great! ;D

After an hour of entering the couloir, we were back at the logging road. Every turn down was through breakable crust. Once on the logging road we cruised out to the road. The road was also a cruiser, almost too much speed, felt like I was going to die and was definately the crux of the day. I just couldn't slow down!

One stop at Gustav's, another to sleep a bit and we were home by 3am. 12 hours car to car, 24 house to house.

Looks like a great trip. Nice job!

But remember, Charles will personally come to your house and kick your butt if you post more than one photo in you trip report...now ya know...

Way to go! That couloir looked nice on my way to stuart. Did you happen to see my helmet  >:(?

BTW thanks for the tracks if you were the one who made them. It was a nice track.

That road did rule. I love going that fast. The trail was a kick too!!! So, so fast. We have some footage of the trail skiing, but the camera malfunctioned on my brother and I's mad dash down the road. That bump/dip lower down was quite the hit.  

Reply to this TR

februray-11-2006-cannon-mountan-cannon-couloir
Tony_Bentley
2006-02-12 08:59:18