Home > Trip Reports > February 11, 2006, Humpback Mountain 5174'

February 11, 2006, Humpback Mountain 5174'

2/11/06
Posted by John Morrow on 2/11/06 2:17am
Erik S. and I looked for adequate sun, and a destination not too high, for a chance at turns.  So we decided on East and S.E. aspects and a 9:30AM start to get some sun, but not too late for the expected cloudup.  The sun was strong until 11:30. Snow was softening to 1in. pole depth, but we were still 400' vertical from the top.  We pushed on anyway for the view.  The East wind was howling on the summit, did not stay long.
On the descent the first 400 feet was thin crusted with dry facets underneath.  Definitely a challenge for us.  Then the cloud cover began to refreeze the top third of the mountain.  These were the kind of turns where you could hear all the thousands of tiny frozen rounds, falling from the previous turn, tingling over your skis.  The middle third was fun hero corn, sort of.  Then the bottom was a mix of corn and wind effect slabby weirdness.
Challenging, but definetly worthwile.  I look forward to someday being the kind of skier that can effortlessly finesse these varying conditions.  Perhaps I need shorter, fatter tele skis.
I've been meaning to get back to this report for a while...

John, am I correct in assuming that this is the Snoqualmie Pass area Humpback Mountain? If so, and you were on E and SE slopes, then you must have gone up the Annette Lake valley and then ascended from the valley bottom?

Proceeding as if my assumptions are correct: Eric_N recently reported what I have often seen from Silver Peak, looking across the valley to the general east side of Humpback:
"There was a 50 ft wide crown around 4000 ft on the East side of Humpback Mt."

I've seen this multiple times, mostly into spring, and what it has looked like to me is not traditional avalanche but wholesale snow pack glide on water-lubricated rock slabs. There seem to be several areas on the east side of Humpback where the entire depth of the snow pack fractures into giant pieces, which then slowly slide down the rock slabs. I've never seen a piece make the tumble, but it is quite clear that this is what happens, and it seems to be a predictable occurrance.

Here are some photos I dredged up:
Overview of east side of Humpback
and
Closeup of one area (marked on first photo)

Sorry, a lot of words to get to my question: did you see any evidence of this on your trip, and if so, what route did you take to avoid the areas (unless that is top secret information)?

Hi Charles, yes I have seen this too.  It hadn't really started yet but there was general avy. debris below that face.  Checking my photos, there was the start of a glide crack in the area of concern.  There are really nice glades safely to the right of your photo.  Descend east off the top then traverse north (skiers left) to the saddle with the northern point 4883'.  The glades are below and slightly skiers left.  Or ski off Pt. 4883' instead to them.  They are long and moderate, free of debris, and go almost 2000 vertical to the valley bottom.  

From the bottom in Humpback Creek climb the east slopes as soon as you turn the corner to view the whole face.  Then simply go along the left edge of the forest, right of any danger.  Long glades continually open up after short bands of trees.  The aspect is generally E/SE the whole time.

Seems to me to be some shaded powder opportunities to the left of the big face in the picture, tucked against the descending spur rib.

I was vague initially in my report, but it got so few hits I think it is safe to spill the goods!  Our photos aren't very good but I will try to post a couple soon.

John

I was on Silver on Saturday and saw the same crown Eric_N mentioned.  I am pretty sure it was in the area of the two red arrows in the lower right side of Charles' annotated photo.  I was wondering what was underneath.  Thanks for the photo.

Photos:
The north east facing glades to the left of the crown face affected slope and its runout zone:

The southeast facing glades we skied about 1/3 way up:

Beautiful pictures.
I'm a new comer, as my username suggests.
Any suggestions on how to find climbing partners, where to get the equipment and (most importantly) how to get ready to do a climb ???
I'm the kind that loves nature, but does not encounter it much in her life. So, help is appreciated ;)

Reply to this TR

february-11-2006-humpback-mountain-5174
John Morrow
2006-02-11 10:17:07