Home > Trip Reports > February 9, 2006, east cascades

February 9, 2006, east cascades

2/9/06
Posted by Woz on 2/10/06 1:16am
A few of us moldy west-siders headed over to see how the other half lived.  Glacier glasses helped us restore our equilibrium. 8)  We explored a variety of aspects from 4-6000 feet.  Shaded slopes with wind protection were excellent! :D  Light and very stable.  Anything that saw sun or wind was breakable crust or not-quite breakble crust.  Love to tell you where we went, but we met Randonee out there and he swore us to secrecy. ;)  The conditions we saw appear to be present throughout the east Cascades, so go find something with a north slope or a long line of trees and ski the shadows.  Hope to see you all out in the shade!

Some pix at:  http://www.alexsvendsen.blogspot.com/

(well, a couple, but Alex promises.....)
The pics give it away, but I won't give you guys up.

It was great to meet you. Glad you had a good day- I admired your tracks. It was nice, sunshine and blue skies and long views.

That 1989 Ski Doo Tundra snowmoblie is a single cylinder, 250 cc displacement. It was light and had a long track for 1989, so I purchased it new (for $1948.00) just to go skiing. It is geared like a tractor and only does about 35 mph top speed. I have pulled huge sleds and have towed 5 skiers uphill on about 10 miles of road. It is certainly a relic when compared to a modern 900 cc displacement, 110 HP, liquid cooled, fuel injected 144" track snowmobile that costs $11000!

I think you're fibbin- there is no powder here, only hard snow with lots of rocks and bare spots, and there is always lots of avalanche hazard. It is much better to ski  on the Cascade crest.

I have been meaning to check that area out, it looks like there is some great spots if you know were to look. Don't worry your secret is safe.

Randonnee is so right about the usual conditions.  And even on a very rare day of OK snow and adequate coverage, it is still almost all (lengthy) tour and few turns!

Reply to this TR

february-9-2006-east-cascades
Woz
2006-02-10 09:16:07