Home > Trip Reports > February 8, 2006, Kaleetan Peak

February 8, 2006, Kaleetan Peak

2/8/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by gregL on 2/8/06 8:20am

We should have done this tour yesterday . . . or Monday . . . or Sunday. It would have been epic. However, heavy rain to at least 6,300 ft. on Tuesday night combined with early morning freezing temps made for some ultra-firm crust on all aspects this morning. We found a recent skin track going up to the China Bowl Chute gap and saved a little energy, then dropped over the back side where we found a few reasonable turns on crust that supported our weight. Traversed over to Melakwa Lake through really heavy crust that fortunately had been melted due to S. exposure; didn't have to put the skins back on until past Upper Melakwa.

The skinning up Kaleetna was a bit of a headache due to the firm nature of the snow - very little grip, and the ski crampons were (DOH!) safely on the shelf of my gear room at home . . . we ended up booting the final 200 vf. of the peak. The weather had cleared remarkably by the time we got to the top, and good views of some insane lines down from Bryant were had.

A few good turns were had down the S. facing ridge (maybe 400 vf), but as we turned into the E. facing bowl down to Melakwa Pass, the crust turned to sketchy boilerplate with VERY little grip . . . I took a little ride when I went down on my hip and accelerated rapidly, launching off a small rock band and managing to stop when I landed hard enough to dent the crust. Not elegant.

Skiing down to Chair Peak Lake and then to Snow Lake was heinous (no, HEINOUS) - mostly accomplished by traverses linked by huge jump turns. No skating was possible on Snow Lake due to the crust situation, so we put skins on again and did it the slow way.

Someone had put in a skin track a day or so ago up from Snow Lake which we gratefully followed, to be rewarded with more crust skiing under Chair Peak (this time, traverses followed by kick turns)! Some of the worst skiing either of us has experienced, to be sure . . . recommend you stay away until it snows again.

Time to get back to Courmayeur?  Easier skiing, and lift assisted.  :)

Was there really heavy rain on Tuesday night?  Telemetry shows a little bit of precip early Wednesday morning, but seems like it should have been snow above about 4000ft...

That sounds horrible.

Pretty pictures, though!

Was there really heavy rain on Tuesday night?  Telemetry shows a little bit of precip early Wednesday morning, but seems like it should have been snow above about 4000ft...

That's what I thought too, but it must have poured since the powder I was skiing in Tuesday afternoon had all turned to rock.

Impressive choice and trip to say the least!  Anyone think south slopes in the Snoq. area will be corn like by the weekend with this sun and night time cooling?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have south facing corn by the weekend...

Anything that was wind hammered late last week, which includes a lot of open south facing stuff at Snoq from what I could see in a small sample this weekend, would have a good chance of being corn, maybe intermixed with funky breakable crust (depending on your timing).

It was more of a light rain.  At least it was at ~4:30am when I was coming back from work.  On the way up as it was raining I was stoked, thinking how Tuesday's nice snow would be great with another inch or two on top.  Based on the temperature gage at the summit I thought it might be snow above chair 1 (~4-4500') but obviously that proved not to be the case.  Yeah, i'm also hoping that it might be corn by the weekend.  Red mt. on Sunday anyone?

FWIW, in the afternoon in the alp BC it did seem to soften a bit to provide somewhat better conditions than you describe (which isn't so hard I think based on your post), but yeah that crust was unfortunate.

I race CityLeague up at Alpental Tuesday nights and I was there til about 11pm...clear skies the whole time, so it must have started in the wee hours as Corey suggests. ???

Reply to this TR

february-8-2006-kaleetan-peak
gregL
2006-02-08 16:20:51