February 7, 2006, Alpental

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Feb 2006 11:23 #212294 by oftpiste
February 7, 2006, Alpental was created by oftpiste
Gorgeous day on the hill. Arrived about 10. Pretty chilly and hard-packed at the bottom of chair 1, but at the crest of the rise 300 meters from the base of chair 2 the temp went up several noticable degrees.<br><br>Used the highest traverse open into the BC (though the higher one which was closed had been well travelled) to make our way out to Piss Pass, skied just east of the ridgeline in gorgeous light snow and grabbed a few sunny soft turns abouve Source Lake. Next lap was to the pass and some very nice, sun-warmed turns on the north side of the big knoll on the east side of Piss Pass. Best bang for the buck of the day with lots of turns on a good pitch on the fall line and decent snow conditions. Shaded snow was 6-12 inches of granulated sugar (hoar frost or faceted? - still learning about this so please forgive) on top of the crust that has been much discussed here of late.<br><br>Other runs were had of course, mostly inbounds, but these were the highlights and I can never remember the names of all the runs. I'll work on it.<br><br>Interestingly, and pursuant to a thread elsewhere on this board about BC access, there was a patroller at the top giving a couple of boarders hell for rope-ducking and I asked him if he wanted us to sign out or anything thinking it would be interesting to hear the answer. He asked if we had BC passes (not a word about beacons, shovels and probes which we were carrying though not visibly) and if we had signed a waiver. We had, in 2000 and still have the cards, and he said we were good to go.<br><br>Nice to ski in the sun and have good vis for a change after all the heavy snowfall recently.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2006 16:20 #212296 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: February 7, 2006, Alpental
Yeah, it was great day in the Alpy BC. Still powder to be had in Martin Bowl and Draft Dodger Ridge/Big Trees; I'm not sure where all those people went on Sunday but they didn't get everything. Several other TAY regulars were there as well, including sag and jeremy. My female skiing companions decided what Alpental really needed to be a serious resort contender was a "lingerie tree" - so they started one! It's a stone's throw from the traditional "urination gap" area, for those inclined to donate . . .<br><br>

• jasonsalvo
  • [jasonsalvo]
More
07 Feb 2006 17:18 #212297 by jasonsalvo
Replied by jasonsalvo on topic Re: February 7, 2006, Alpental
Was that picture taken today? Because I was in, on, and around the pee-pee col all day, and I did not see one brassiere. What I did see were all sorts of untracked lines. Supposedly it was crowded on Sunday, but the evidence was not there.

More
08 Feb 2006 01:37 #212298 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: February 7, 2006, Alpental
About 1:45 PM . . . look past the sled a couple of trees.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Feb 2006 03:16 #212299 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: February 7, 2006, Alpental

My female skiing companions decided what Alpental really needed to be a serious resort contender was a "lingerie tree"

<br><br>Looks like the BC is starting to get some pretty serious bumps ;D

More
08 Feb 2006 07:19 #212300 by hankj
Replied by hankj on topic Re: February 7, 2006, Alpental
Inbounds was fun at night too -- plenty of soft, sugary snow w/ a few harder spots in high traffic areas. And in the least trafficed areas, the surface was mildly cut up powder, even down low. Seems as if the cold nights have sucked some of the moisture out of the snow.<br><br>Anyway, it was much, much, better than I expect -- I'll bet today was good too.<br><br>

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Feb 2006 06:57 - 09 Feb 2006 15:50 #212304 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: February 7, 2006, Alpental

Looks like the BC is starting to get some pretty serious bumps  ;D

<br><br>Would that be a Victoria's Secret Stash?

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Feb 2006 08:30 #212305 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: February 7, 2006, Alpental

<br><br>Would that be a Victoria's Secret Stash?

<br>Good one Lowell :D