Home > Trip Reports > November 30, 2002, Mt. Rainier NP

November 30, 2002, Mt. Rainier NP

11/30/02
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by paul_smith on 12/1/02 11:29pm
Although it's been drier then a James Bond Martini ;) good snow was to be found on Rainier. Todd and I left Sea. at 7 for the drive through fog and sun to Paradise where we were greeted by sunshine and blue skies. T-shirts were plenty as we booted to above Pebble creek where the skinning started. We stoped for lunch at 8500' with views south to Hood and Jefferson and enjoyed the moment. It was difficult to tell the month with corn snow, hikers in shorts, and a warm gentle breeze. Speedy turns brought us back to Pan Point faster then we wanted, a brief run below that ended quickly as rocks lurked just under the snow. A nice buzz ;D was the reward for the day.Ullar more snow please 8)
excellent turns and conditions-----for July!!!!!   ???  hey james (il naso) bond, do you like your snow martini shaken, not stirred?  do the snow dance!

Paul, I'm curious about the coverage on the lower Muir, around where we skied on Oct. 31. Are all of the old snow patches now completely covered, or are there still dirty areas showing? How about the rock band at about 8000' - are there now new snow connections through it? Also, was there continuous snow from Pebble Creek to Pan Point, or did you have some de-skis?

I guess everything will now be frozen solid with the lower FLs. Maybe - hopefully - there will be a little snow from this current precip?

Hey Van Popel with so much time on my hands and no snow i hadda say something! The rain this morning is refreshing lets hope it keeps up for the next four months!

Charles We de-skied several times from our high point however you could make the same run with only one or two removals,the majority of the old snow is now covered save a few patches here and there, likewise the rock bands which are mostly skiable.And Yes! Lets hope there is snow! Gotta try out my new fatties but not until sufficient coverage is here! The snow dance is in progress. ;D ;D

Reply to this TR

november-30-2002-mt-rainier-np
paul_smith
2002-12-02 07:29:57