Home > Forum > Sentimental post... And thanks.

Sentimental post... And thanks.

• blue_salsify
  • [blue_salsify]
More
01 Mar 2018 14:22 #231254 by blue_salsify
Sentimental post... And thanks. was created by blue_salsify
I know my Dad would have loved getting into backcountry skiing with me. Sniff. I wish he was still alive so we could do a birthday tour today (he died of cancer when I was 18). I'm thankful to him for sharing his enthusiasm for outdoor recreation, speed(!) and all the special mountain memories.

He was a carpenter and worked extra hours at Olympic Sports so we could ski. His dad had a story of skiing at Paradise with his Mom-my Great Grandma-when Pearl Harbor was attacked, everyone was listening on their car radios in the parking lot and all the young men drove straight downtown to join which ever branch of service appealed to them.

I don't remember where this picture was taken....probably Snoqualmie or Crystal. Shoutout to all other Powder Pigs alums out there!

I don't post much yet, but I read a lot. Thanks to all of you who share information and help out beginning bc skiers, it sure is great.

Heidi
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2018 15:01 #231255 by Shred
Replied by Shred on topic Re: Sentimental post... And thanks.
What a great tribute post!
I have a son and young daughter that are just as enthusiastic as I am, for the mountains.
I am one lucky guy.

I know quite a few Pow Pig alums. Bet they were just as crazy back in dem days too?!

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2018 20:37 #231262 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Sentimental post... And thanks.
Nice post!

I'm thinking that picture may have been taken at Mission Ridge. Chair 3 perhaps? The trees in the background (on the right look) like east slope Cascades. And the off-loading ramp looks about right.

Mike Rolfs, what do you think?

More
02 Mar 2018 06:30 #231266 by ceog
Replied by ceog on topic Re: Sentimental post... And thanks.
Alpental?

• blue_salsify
  • [blue_salsify]
More
02 Mar 2018 17:17 #231272 by blue_salsify
Replied by blue_salsify on topic Re: Sentimental post... And thanks.
We did ski at Mission Ridge occasionally! Yes, perhaps those are larches...

I was so young in Powder Pigs, I don't even recall learning to ski. Which is probably why I took my girls on too-hard of a hill their first day. Woops. I am now doing better the second time around teaching their friends. Will be fun when they can go bc with me.

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
03 Mar 2018 09:43 #231279 by MW88888888
Replied by MW88888888 on topic Re: Sentimental post... And thanks.
I loved this post.

On Friday my daughter said as we skied around our local ski area that this was the happiest thing she does all week. Wow I am so lucky, too.

I'm glad you had those memories, they last forever ( mine is of hiking the Bruce trail in Vermont with my dad) and hopefully you'll pass along to your own.

Thanks for this post, Blue (aka Heidi)