February 25-27, 2018 Whistler

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Feb 2018 20:29 #231248 by telemack
February 25-27, 2018 Whistler was created by telemack
A superior trip to the big one with the softest least crowded days I've had yet.  Note:  all 3 days skiing were on my fine new AT setup that is light and rails at the resorts.  It's easier on my knees and I go faster  8)
2/25-toured up Callaghan area, 6" fresh.  Beautiful enclosed valley with sun breaks.  Quite the Nordic/skate facilities.
2/26-Upper Whistler all day.  Bluebird until noon, explored all over Symphony and Piccolo and it was soft and gorgeous everywhere.  Our friend with the condo demoed DPS Wailers for her first-ever days on rockered skis, and she was an instant convert.  Leftover freshies everywhere in the woods, really bright and beautiful.   Flute looked great, but it socked in before we got over there.  The Roundhouse was mediocre....Long lines for seats and food.  I had some good chili, but all four soup choices were thin and bland.  We escaped to sweet conditions on Big Red, and the softest most casual run to the Village ever.
2/27-Loaded Blackcomb gondola early with no line in steady light snow, found unexpected 12 cm (?) all over Xtal Ridge and Excaliber.  We skied the Jersey bowls and walls, and broke for a super burger at Glacier Lodge.  Then as the sucker holes got bigger we headed for Showcase T-Bar and the short bootpack to Blackcomb Glacier. Vis was good and I entered the Blowhole from the R side for my first trip ever down the Glacier, in 33 cm :-) of cutup heavy pow.  Gorgeous run and setting. After exiting, my pal bailed to save her legs, while I returned to Glacier Express, took a freshie lap on the T-Bar, then again to the bootpack.  This time I continued to the Wind Lip and had more great turns down the center and Husume flank.  The second long skateout was a sweatfest.  I still had legs for a bit more, so foolishly linked to Jersey via Overbite (the only hellish rocks and refrozen ruts of the trip).  Then down the whole hill to baguettes, booze and a bath.  I was so pooped I fell asleep before dinner ::)
Blew through Vancouver and the truck crossing in very speedy time.  What a fantastic mountain!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.