Home > Trip Reports > Feb 23, 2018, Commonwealth Basin environs

Feb 23, 2018, Commonwealth Basin environs

2/23/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Pete A on 2/23/18 9:30am
The wifey and I toodled around in low angle trees today...sunny this morning, but steady snow by late morning. Last weekend's crust and treebomb damage was nicely covered and there's some really light snow out there right now. Far easier trailbreaking than last weekend.

Our highest point was about 5000ft, found a little 35 degree NW facing test slope and went looking for the persistent weak layer. Found it about 3ft down, and another problem layer about a foot above that one. Red line on the pic below is the early Feb crust. CT test failed on that old crust at the eighth elbow tap...slid fast and clean and the layer a foot above toppled along at the same time. Play safe this weekend y'all.
Thanks for the great pit pic. It was quite a storm cycle this and what came after.

I have seen mention of the feb 13 layer implicated in some of the slides. Which one would that be in this pic on the 23rd?

kinda testing the limits of my memory at this point :)

i think the red line was the prominent melt freeze crust from 2/8...so the blue line may be the 2/13 facet layer.  At the time, the column failed at the red line, but as the column collapsed into the pit , there was a failure at the higher interface (blue line) and some obvious slabs.

Reply to this TR

feb-23-2018-commonwealth-basin-environs
Pete A
2018-02-23 17:30:07