Home > Trip Reports > Feb 20, 2018, snoqualmie - 180220

Feb 20, 2018, snoqualmie - 180220

2/20/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cumulus on 2/20/18 3:20pm
Can this really only be my third day of touring this season? Sadly yes... but holy sh*t was it good! The lift ratio seems to be somewhat in inverse proportion this season... amends will be made, guaranteed. Incentives were good for sure: sunshine (a small window anyhow), light pow and no one around... except for Ed and Mike back at the parking lot proffering beers--thank you so much!

OK, so conditions: we skied all sorts of aspects and steepness but could not get anything other than sluff to move. It all skied great between circa 3200-to just under 5K. That said we didn't go too high and avoided ridges and other areas of potential increased wind effects. Just sniffin out the low and well chilled fruit which is quite plentiful right now and considerably fun.

Rob rippin'

Good skiing out there, although persistent slab is worth staying cautious.
Not seeing does not equate to not existing.
Mellow pow in the trees is still fun.

Absolutely. There's a lot of fun to be had in the realm of limitation.

We skied what we did not by plan, but by nature.

Nice TR and photos. ;)

author=kamtron link=topic=39742.msg160000#msg160000 date=1519254338]
Good skiing out there, although persistent slab is worth staying cautious.
Not seeing does not equate to not existing.
Mellow pow in the trees is still fun.

Indeed on all that. We had great fun on Monday sticking to meadow-skipping slopes and moderate forest lines. The snow was soft but fast so even "green run" terrain offered up very fun easy bouncy turns. Getting into something a little more akin to blue was positively  delightful, and we didn't find ourselves wondering at all  what we were missing by passing up steeper terrain that we'd  often hit on our chosen tour. Hoping to get out tomorrow for a bit  more of the same before the next wave comes in.

Bitcoin requires proof of work, TAY requires proof of fun:

only your third day!? i know the other two days and one was a pretty mediocre one ;)

glad to see your getting some nice turns!

Things still quite nice up there today.  Skied phantom trees this am, up to ~8" of fresh light atop a firmer base.  The top 3/4 from the thunder creek exit skied wonderfully, the bottom section in the trees was quite crusty and made for challenging skinning on the way up.  My partner appreciated his ski crampons.

thanks Zap!

good catch Jacob! yep it's been four. realized that after posting but thought eh, the essence of it having been way too long is still there. 
And what do you mean mediocre? All tours are great. Free your ass and the fun will follow...I'm pretty sure 'mediocre' is a descriptor solely reserved for 'padded seats'.

nice pics Kam. On that second shot did someone throw a ski pole to test the slope, or is there someone actually attached to it?  Either way, great shot!

Thanks for the conditions update leary.

Reply to this TR

feb-20-2018-snoqualmie-180220
cumulus
2018-02-20 23:20:15