Home > Forum > Elk and Powder - A video

Elk and Powder - A video

• Griff
  • [Griff]
More
19 Feb 2018 19:57 #231156 by Griff
Elk and Powder - A video was created by Griff
Friends, some great scenery from the Snoqualmie Valley......

vimeo.com/256523543

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2018 20:37 #231157 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Elk and Powder - A video
Really nice work.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Feb 2018 15:25 #231174 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Elk and Powder - A video
...on course the chalk is winning!
world class groomers surrounded
by dry cold snow under sunshine!

• Griff
  • [Griff]
More
22 Feb 2018 17:31 #231185 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Elk and Powder - A video

Cool video but just in case others viewing this are not aware... it's illegal to use a drone to harass wildlife in Washington. It's also pretty cruel considering that now is the toughest time of year for those animals and being chased off a feeding ground by a drone isn't helping them survive the winter.

"On average, an elk must eat about three pounds of food per day for every 100 pounds it weighs. This can add up to more than 15 pounds of food!"

idahoptv.org/sciencetrek/topics/elk/facts.cfm

Yes I do know that. Once I saw them start to herd at the slightest I flew away and everyone returned to grazing. There was no way I was going to harass the Elk I have been living with for 23 years.

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
07 Mar 2018 14:28 #231328 by Chamois
Replied by Chamois on topic Re: Elk and Powder - A video
Not a big fan of drones in the hills. I go out there for the quiet and have been buzzed by those annoying things on several occasions - once in a designated wilderness.

Regarding the elk thing - it's complicated. As a wildlife biologist with 35 yrs experience there is a lot of information out there in the literature. Yea - there may have been people on the ground taking pictures - but this is a common occurrence in the valley and one in which the elk have become habituated.

Because elk don't stampede doesn't mean you are not causing behavioral changes, increases in stress hormones, and generally affecting them. The Washington Administrative Code that WDFW refers to addresses drones but the language is vague - you are not suppose to "harass" them.

I would say being only 35 ft above a herd is too close. 100 ft - depends on the circumstances. 200 ft - maybe that is ok. Don't make assumptions, be over cautious. The US Forest Service drone hobbiest guidelines specifically say this:
Do not fly over or near wildlife as this can create stress that may cause significant harm, and even death. Intentional disturbance of animals during breeding, nesting, rearing of young, or other critical life history functions is not allowed unless approved as research or management.
www.fs.fed.us/science-technology/fire/un...tems/responsible-use

wyomingpublicmedia.org/post/drone-operat...ng-elk-herd#stream/0

"Even though an animal might not appear to be disturbed, it could be quite stressed--for example, a bird may choose to remain near a UAV even when stressed because it is incubating an egg or protecting its hatchling," says Jarrod Hodgson of The University of Adelaide in Australia. "It is likely that animal responses vary depending on a variety of factors, including the species, environmental and historical context, and the type of UAV and its method of operation."