Home > Trip Reports > February 16, 2018, Hurricane Hill

February 16, 2018, Hurricane Hill

2/16/18
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 2/17/18 12:29am
    Between the warm weather and the coming dump there was Friday skiing at the Ridge.  I traversed the Steep & Icy section on the way out, but returned along the ridge crest after it warmed.  Several inches at most, but cool temps. and very well bonded snow.  Vis was variable from very flat to sun breaks.
    Frozen crust everywhere, but it did not slide off under skis or on steep slopes as at Crystal two days ago.  The HH bowl was partially scoured but looker's left skied well, down into the valley.  Big clouds were gathering on the drive back to Kitsap.  Runcle and I tried to meet up in PA, but I headed up alone, only to stumble upon his pack, and then him taking a lap below the bowl. 
    Hood Canal Bridge was opened up, that is to say it was closed to auto traffic, for about 30 minutes while Navy motor barges passed through north, probably to meet an incoming Trident submarine with its arsenal of hydrogen bombs. 
Nice,  Mac.  I won't say I don't feel a wee bit jealous. It sounds like Runcle is a regular Rip Van Winkle :-).

Seems TELEmack has a little explaining to do :) Bluebird day today 2/19 and plenty of powder for some of the nicest turns and scenery of the winter!

Reply to this TR

february-16-2018-hurricane-hill
telemack
2018-02-17 08:29:59