Home > Forum > January "Trip" report, streak ending at 135

January "Trip" report, streak ending at 135

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
16 Feb 2018 13:44 #231114 by Don Heath
Well, I could continue to rage against the storm, but i guess I'll finally pay attention to the doctor. I managed to keep skiing with a cast on after wrist surgery a few years ago, continued skiing after having a detached retina last December, but this latest thing seems to be a bit more important and has too much at stake.

About 3 weeks ago, I took a trip. Down a bunch of stairs. Without my skis :-). I landed at the bottom on both knees, and tore both quadriceps tendons. It's amazing how important  it is to have your patellas strongly attached. I wasn't able to move my lower legs. Surgery the next morning on both knees at the same time at Harborview went well. Rehab starts next week.

So at this point, barring a miracle :-) I'll let my streak end at 135 months.  I hope to be skiing some corn snow in May or June. Maybe I'll wear a tutu to honor Kristina and all the others still TAYING.

Anybody have any experience coming back after a torn quadriceps? Anybody tear two at a time? Any rehab tips would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Don Heath aka Rusty Knees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2018 18:18 #231119 by ron j
Bummer, Don,

Please heal quickly. You might be relegated to with us geezers this summer. You know you're always welcome. We still go almost every Sunday.
But whatever you do, plan on switching over the DARK SIDE .

More
16 Feb 2018 19:07 #231120 by Shred
Sorry to hear of your streak ending injury, Don.

I feel like one should be able to take a mulligan, if they have a substantial injury, that prevents further streaking and as long as they do double or maybe even triple days (depending on how many months they missed),in August and/or September, to make up the deficit. 😃
I will write my local Tay department and see if we can get the code of conduct amended.
Speedy recovery, friend.

More
16 Feb 2018 20:11 #231121 by Robie
All streaks are most certainly broken . Heath Health is everything. Paste your credit card on your computer screen and ordering new gear is the best rehab going. Dont over rehab. Recovery is not linear. Looking forward to seeing you back on the slopes.

• ridngoofy
  • [ridngoofy]
More
17 Feb 2018 15:09 #231127 by ridngoofy
COM'ON Man! Thats just wrong! Both of us stubbled out o the 2018 gate Don. But yea as mentioned for some sick reason googling all the cool ski gear makes it more tolerable. Healing tendons is much like healing bone. Here's some stuff:

www.climbhealthy.com/strengthen-tendons-and-ligaments/
www.livestrong.com/article/30196-vitamins-ligaments-tendons/

Right now I'm doing daily "Jarrow Bone Up" and Gerolstiener .

Good luck and speedy recovery.

More
17 Feb 2018 16:43 #231128 by filbo
Well Don what about all the yard projects and landscaping shovel work you dared not mention. If I have to come over to the west side and grab a shovel well so be it, but if that happens rest assured I will be driving "The Miracle Pickup Truck That Heals The Sick And Infirm."
Best on the recovery dude. Whiskey, beer and chronic like the doctor sez.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Feb 2018 17:27 #231131 by Andrew Carey

All streaks are most certainly broken . Heath Health is everything.  Paste your credit card  on your computer screen and ordering new gear is the best rehab going. Dont over rehab. Recovery is not linear. Looking forward to seeing you back on the slopes.

Ordering new gear, especially expensive, lightweight, high performance gear, is key!  You would be terribly embarrassed if you could never use it.  That said, rehab is of maximum importance.  I disagree with Robie.  You can not overdue rehab, ever!  Get a good physical therapist and listen to what he or she has to say.  Then also take advantage of the marvelous resources available on line, including on utube.  And get acquainted with trigger point therapies--you most likely will need that after your quads heal. You need to tailor your rehab to you as a whole person.  And then continue on with a regular routine of exercise, stretching, and rehab for life!  I know this from experience with osteoarthritis and mutliple injuries including major injuries like a  pelvic dislocation along sutures and a twisting fall that the torqued all upper leg, knee, lower leg, and foot muscle and tendons.  It actually takes a very good physical therapist to identify the various injuries that have been suffered and that will occur later as a result of the original injuries!  My HMO therapist and my orthopedist were not helpful.  I had 2 physical therapists that each contrbuted in his and her own way.  The good news is, 1 year later I got in 50 1/2 days bc, 2 years later I got 80 days of bc skiing in, and hope for even more this year.  I do my core, strengthening, and rehab exercises every day.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Feb 2018 13:01 #231138 by Jim Oker
Yes, I've heard more than one person say they were even stronger in many ways after toeing the line a good PT had drawn for them than they were before the major injury (including but not limited to Olympic medalists). This was true for me after a fortunately moderate ACL strain (no surgery required, but a decade and a half hence the long term consequences of such injuries become more clear to me!).

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
04 Mar 2018 08:04 #231284 by alecapone
Oh man. Sorry to hear Don.

Hope you heal well and get back soon!

I don't TAY, but I always admire the guys who keep the long term streaks going. Takes some dedication in the lean months.

As long as you know you would be skiing if you could, you are good.