Home > Trip Reports > Feb 10-11, 2018, Hurricane Ridge to Deer Park

Feb 10-11, 2018, Hurricane Ridge to Deer Park

2/10/18
WA Olympics
Posted by Peels on 2/12/18 4:08am
Jerry, Kevin, Nate, David, and I made the spectacular pilgrimage from Hurricane Ridge to Deer Park in the Olympics this weekend. The five of us left Seattle Friday evening in two cars and met at an Air B&B in Port Angeles. David and Jerry then dropped Jerry's car at the Deer Park gate.

We got a ride up to Hurricane Ridge from one of our host's friends for $10 each Saturday morning shortly after the gate opened. The route was amazing and we were so grateful to be in the sunshine even though the skiing itself left something to be desired. In general, we had a firm crust with a small amount of high quality new snow on top of it. Conditions seemed very stable. The ridge was windblown and completely bare in places, but travel was efficient and we could often make out the summer trail. We camped at the saddle a little before Maiden Peak.

We were fortunate to have very little wind during our trip. We woke to clear skies Sunday morning but then got socked in for a bit as we left camp. Our only mistake was getting off the ridge into steep terrain as we descended through the trees approaching Deer Park. However, we quickly realized our error were able to boot right back up to the ridge.

The only let down of the tour was the Deer Park Road, our eagerly anticipated victory glide back to Jerry's waiting car. Unfortunately, the gravel proved to be rather grabby below 4800 feet. Downhill skinning worked for some before walking was the only option. I'm guessing we skinned/hiked about 5 miles of the road. Nevertheless, we all had a blast and can't wait to explore more terrain in the Olympics.
great read, you had my interest piqued with that excellent steely, firm first photo. Thanks for the TR

Thanks very much!  David gets all the photo credit. :-)

Glad you got a decent weather window for this classic tour.  People should expect to hike down the Deer Park road even when there is plenty of snow up high.  We carried sneakers on the traverse and it was worth it when the skis went back on our packs!

Reply to this TR

feb-10-11-2018-hurricane-ridge-to-deer-park
Peels
2018-02-12 12:08:59