Home > Forum > MSH Permit Fiasco

MSH Permit Fiasco

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
01 Feb 2018 16:27 #230991 by dfhkvs
MSH Permit Fiasco was created by dfhkvs
Man, they basically broke the internet. Permit sales have been suspended until Feb 5th so the vendor can un-fubar things. Reportedly demand _blew away_ that from last year and earlier.

Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2018 13:54 #230997 by PhilH
Replied by PhilH on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
...loved to death

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
02 Feb 2018 14:32 #230999 by dfhkvs
Replied by dfhkvs on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
Various news reports state that 3500 people tried to get permits on opening day in 2017. In 2018, the number was 11,000.

That's a bit sobering.

Dave.

More
02 Feb 2018 15:23 #231000 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
Midweek.

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
02 Feb 2018 15:44 #231001 by dfhkvs
Replied by dfhkvs on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
Nope. All of summer (may --> oct) was basically gone in a few hours, mid-week included.

Basically, anything pre-April (no permit limits) and you're good.

I've just marveled at the increases in usage of outdoor areas. Here in Oregon, the usage of Three Sisters Wilderness DOUBLED in the past 4 years. So, permits are coming our way for that area. There is no denying the over-use and resource damage.

D.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
02 Feb 2018 19:46 #231002 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
Not sure why we should care too much about permits anyway. Took a friend to Rainier last summer. He had sent in request for a solo permit well beforehand. When he presented himself at the ranger station, they had not "processed" his application and would not do it on the spot. I advised him just to go for it which he did, successfully. Later I tried to get a permit for MSH. Totally sold out. Went anyway, permitless, and was surprised by a largely vacant mtn. So bag and carry off your shit. That seems to be all they really care about.

• #Number1splitboarder
  • [#Number1splitboarder]
More
01 Mar 2018 10:09 #231251 by #Number1splitboarder
Replied by #Number1splitboarder on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
What is the fine if you're caught without a permit?

• Skier of the Hood
  • [Skier of the Hood]
More
01 Mar 2018 19:12 #231260 by Skier of the Hood
Replied by Skier of the Hood on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
I believe the main problems have to do with the standard routes? Take an alternate way up and enjoy the solitude. Having a third party collect fees that don't actually go wholly towards addressing damage to the alpine ecosystem or for supporting climbing rangers or the like is a terrible mistake anyway. Mt Rainer peak taxes actually support climber activities or repairing the damage caused by them, Msh... not so much.

More
02 Mar 2018 10:07 #231268 by biker
Replied by biker on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
whats the last day to go without a permit?

• snojones
  • [snojones]
More
05 Mar 2018 07:18 #231297 by snojones
Replied by snojones on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
What the hell is MSH?

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Mar 2018 07:26 #231298 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco

What the hell is MSH?

Mount St. Helens

• powcarvin
  • [Paul_Carolan]
More
11 Mar 2018 17:27 #231351 by powcarvin
Replied by powcarvin on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
The advanced permit process is being abused. Users have been conditioned to shot gun the calendar well in advance reserving many dates with intention of using only one, if any based on personal schedule or favorable weather. This results in many unused permits. I see this as a growing trend in our parks and campgrounds. MRNP requires users to pick up reserved permits the day of or will be void with out refund and made available. I'm in favor of a first come permit process. You would actually have to get out from behind your computer to get one.

More
12 Mar 2018 16:47 #231361 by water
Replied by water on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
I have been railing against the MSH permit process for years... I sometimes tire of it but will relay what I posted elsewhere with this debacle. Hopefully this issue has pushed enough buttons we might see some change for the future.

I fully agree online permit processes are abused and are almost utterly disconnected from practical use and application of the outdoors. Dog Mountain in the gorge, Obsidian and Pamelia Lake on Jefferson, Jeff Park lakeside camping permit (which the FS outright said did not mitigate damage as intended), Mount Margaret Backcountry (north of Mt. St. Helens).. etc.. people snatch up permits based on availability, no penalty for not using, and relative cheap cost. The solution is not to raise the prices...

Anyways here's goes RE: MSH permit:

background and course of action for those who find the current Mt. St. Helen's Permit process to be unacceptable:

The Mt. St. Helens Institute is the administrator of the permits. They take $5 from every permit for their educational outreach. $2 goes to DiscoveryNW to administer the online sale (or non-sale clusterfuck in this case).
The remainder goes to the Forest Service. This is the only permit in the entire Northwest that funds a private non-profit for the public's access to public lands.

The Mt. St. Helen's Institute brings in roughly $65,000-90,000 a year from the $5/permit revenue and other access to the mountain such as the Crater Glacier View Climb on the North side which can only be accessed by paying the MSHI $175 to go. Additionally they have a crater hike that is $700 a person. Over the last decade MSHI has taken $600k-900k from the public. Without a defined direct service to those who have involuntarily funded them while accessing public lands that their tax dollars pay to sustain and protect. For instance the Crater Glacier View Hike was scoped out by the FS at taxpayer expense, EIS done, consultation with tribes, etc, and was not open to public comment/purely administrative and worded in a way that there is no trigger for opening it up to the broader public. But MSHI has exclusive access to it, and you the public do too for $175.

I've got a huge problem with this private non-profit being the arbiter of access to public lands, and harvesting money from the public to access lands we already pay for. Notice I am not complaining about paying a forest service permit (though that it its own ball of wax.. that is not inherently an issue). But involuntarily funding a non-profit just so you can hike is questionable. Today it is a non-profit you might agree with. But tomorrow it might be a for profit company you do not. I simply have never accepted the precedent that MSHI needed to be involved with buying and selling permits. If they need funding they can apply for grants and sponsorships the way every other non-profit does.

Why recreation.gov has not taken this over and a private non-profit is a middle-man to skim money off the top, I do not know. But the person to contact follows

Tedd Huffman, the manager of the Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
42218 N.E. Yale Bridge Rd.
Amboy, WA
(360) 449-7800

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
14 Mar 2018 13:00 #231365 by Chamois
Replied by Chamois on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco

I believe the main problems have to do with the standard routes? Take an alternate way up and enjoy the solitude. Having a third party collect fees that don't actually go wholly towards addressing damage to the alpine ecosystem or for supporting climbing rangers or the like is a terrible mistake anyway. Mt Rainer peak taxes actually support climber activities or repairing the damage caused by them, Msh... not so much.

Anyone venturing above 4k feet elevation requires a permit. You can take another way up but you are still in the permit pool. I checked and from mid-May thru mid-September there are no permits available. They used to hold 10% for first-come-fist-serve the day of a climb, but this year they did away with that. Supposedly because the website was such a cluster. Not sure how the two correlate.

More
14 Mar 2018 13:22 #231366 by water
Replied by water on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
they haven't held 10% of permits for 1st-come-1st-serve for almost a decade....

new this year is actually having some percent of permits for the following month available on the last friday of the preceding month. Or at least that is what was announced prior to the debacle when they originally went on sale.

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
14 Mar 2018 14:39 #231367 by Chamois
Replied by Chamois on topic Re: MSH Permit Fiasco
Thanks. Hate this system. Ok, it was 20 yrs ago, but we simply went down there, filled out a permit with pencil, slept on the road and then had a good day. Would agree that total reservation by computer is non-committal and there should be some set-aside for day-of-climb pickup.