Home > Forum > Jan 31 & February1,2006,Whistler

Jan 31 & February1,2006,Whistler

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Feb 2006 16:37 #212267 by Zap
January 31: 40cm new and the locals were out in force. Rather then join the gondola lines, I took the Fitzsimmons quad and cycled the Garbanzo quad.The competition for tracks was intense. Face shots were available for the first 2 hours but the volume of locals is high. <br><br>The Peak quad opened about noon and the race was "on". The ridges and bowls were wind affected. With all the new snow, we headed for the Peak to Creek trail then veered over to Big Timber. The snow was heavier as we neared the Creekside base area. These trails are a couple of years old and require significant snow to cover the huge stumps and boulders. It was the ideal conditions to ski the trails. With over 5000 vertical, these are thigh burners. Probably the cleanest lines during the day were in Flute Bowl. Totally untracked powder and no one else in the area. <br><br>Tuesday, February 1 had a few inches of new and we cruised on Blackcomb. The winds were high and the upper lifts were closed. The storm arrived and refreshed the slopes during the day.<br><br>The number of excellent local skiers and boarders at Whistler is enormous. Getting fresh lines is competitive. I've been spoiled locally.<br>Zap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BrianLee
  • [BrianLee]
More
02 Feb 2006 16:51 #212268 by BrianLee
Replied by BrianLee on topic Re: Jan 31 &amp; February1,2006,Whistler
I am not surprised Whistler is like that, At least it is big, The same competitive, i'm gonna get your line if you even slow down crowd, exists at Mount Baker. One reason why I only lasted one season there. Tracked out by 11am everyday, and like this year, the bc was really dangerous most of the time, if you could even see it! (But i will always have major love for that place!)

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
03 Feb 2006 08:39 #212271 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Jan 31 &amp; February1,2006,Whistler

... the cleanest lines during the day were in Flute Bowl.  Totally untracked powder and no one else in the area ...

<br><br>Per usual. 20 minutes from the top of Harmony, and nobody there. I usually just go to Flute and stay there until it's time to go home.<br>

• jdclimber
  • [jdclimber]
More
03 Feb 2006 10:19 #212272 by jdclimber
Replied by jdclimber on topic Re: Jan 31 &amp; February1,2006,Whistler
Sorry I missed you Sr. Zap. Today (Feb 3) was kind at the ol' Whistler. Not crowded but also not huge in terms of freshies. Nice and soft and even a few fresh turns in Harmony bowl that most of the Tourist-putters missed due to intimidating (but easy) entry to a few of the Horse Chutes. Looks like it is setting up for another 30-50 cm of kindnesses tonight. Snow started about 20 minutes ago.<br>As to the mass starts, I enjoy them just like I enjoy the mass start in a Marathon, a large mass of pumped up humanity. Not to say that I don't enjoy the solitude of looking down my line while eating lunch before plucking the first descent of the day on the run. Akin to the dawn solitude of a solitary trail run (vs Marathon mass start).<br> Both are good, just so long as expectations are realistics in both cases. The best way to have a day ruined is a "peel and hoser"; one who uses your skin track, stops 50 ft from the top (and you) and then peels their skins and hoses the line you earned (Grrrrrrrr!).

• BrianLee
  • [BrianLee]
More
03 Feb 2006 11:26 #212274 by BrianLee
Replied by BrianLee on topic Re: Jan 31 &amp; February1,2006,Whistler

The best way to have a day ruined is a "peel and hoser"; one who uses your skin track, stops 50 ft from the top (and you) and then peels their skins and hoses the line you earned (Grrrrrrrr!).

<br><br><br> :D<br><br>I could see a confrontation brewing at the bottom if I was "peel and hosed" ! either that or I would sick my dog on them!

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
03 Feb 2006 12:25 #212276 by Paul_Russell
Replied by Paul_Russell on topic Re: Jan 31 &amp; February1,2006,Whistler
hey Zap,<br>sorry to have missed you on Monday. We had some great runs off the Peak chair once it opened. Made the mistake of waiting in the Harmony line for it to start running, only to watch skiers coming from the saddle t-bar hit all the untracked lines! other than that, a great day. But agree, seems to be getting more competitive there vs. the local scene. Still think the bc access is uncomparable.<br><br>Paul