telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/11/18, 04:23 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  The last king. Ski movie?
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: The last king. Ski movie?  (Read 2710 times)
alecapone

The last king. Ski movie?
« on: 01/29/18, 04:15 AM »

Last night I was bored looking through Netflix and decided to watch a movie called "the last king". It was about two Norwegians, entrusted with an infant kings life, during the civil war in 1204. This is a modern movie, made in Norway, but dubbed in English, so no sub titles.

Didn't really dawn on me that this could be a ski movie. Lots of old school tele skiing. Great travel scenes.  Mountain scenery, schussing.. but there are some Chase scenes that will put James bond and better off dead to shame. Quite possibly the best chase scene in any ski movie ever.

Has anyone seen this who knows Norwegian history? Wondering how close to reality this movie was.

There is some violence, and death. Swords and arrows. Mostly small skirmishes. To be warned, but it is a war movie.. or is it a ski movie? I think there was more skiing then fighting. Must watch for the tele dudes.

« Last Edit: 01/29/18, 04:32 AM by alecapone » Logged

scott
TN
5Member

Re: The last king. Ski movie?
« Reply #1 on: 01/29/18, 10:27 AM »

Love that movie!!  It is well produced, filmed and edited.  For those of us truly hooked on skiing it is a must see!  I too just happened upon it on Netflix when sitting a vacationing friend's house.  I am planning on buying a copy.

"Slow down!  Let ME break trail!  Save the turns and the steep stuff for the way down.  We'll get there sooner,  ski all day and you'll still be able to stand up after dinner tonight!"  The Trail Nazi
alecapone

« Reply #2 on: 01/29/18, 10:44 AM »

Glad you agree! I can't wait to see it again.

I'd like to see more movies like this. I'm going to cross search the actors and creators to see what else they have done.

best 3 minutes in cinematic history
« Last Edit: 01/29/18, 10:50 AM by alecapone » Logged

scott
Doug Hutchinson
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 01/29/18, 11:22 AM »

Too much paramarking for my taste, but then again, it wasn't until the 1860s that our hero Sondre Norheim "invented" telemark so I guess they can be forgiven...

Thanks for the rec!
bbrelje
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 01/29/18, 11:44 AM »

I've never seen the movie, but I'm assuming it is an adaptation of the story of the Birkebein party which seems like it is more truthy than legend but I'm sure it's a mix of both.

The story was the inspiration for a very famous cross country ski race in Norway (Birkebeinerrennet), a 50+K race which draws thousands of racers including some top names. The largest cross-country ski race in America (the American Birkebeiner) is our take on it.

Fun fact about Birkebeinerrennet: racers are required to carry a knapsack with a weight representing the baby Prince.
Zap

« Reply #5 on: 01/29/18, 01:18 PM »

Too much paramarking for my taste, but then again, it wasn't until the 1860s that our hero Sondre Norheim "invented" telemark so I guess they can be forgiven...

Thanks for the rec!

A good friend of ours last name is Norheim and he is a Norwegian. He used to be a telemark skier but he crossed the line to rando. Wink
JPH

« Reply #6 on: 01/29/18, 03:23 PM »

Finally!  A ski movie where I can completely relate to the cliff-hucking style of the on-screen professionals!  #almostapro

* steaze.JPG (68.1 KB, 1000x343 - viewed 680 times.)
rover
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 01/30/18, 10:02 AM »

I watched this last night based on this post. What a great movie! Amazing scenery and some really cool ski shots.

The skiing seemed so fast, fluid, and natural. No transitions, and pretty cool to watch how fast they moved over rolling terrain. Any suggestions for a modern equivalent to the type of gear they're using? Fishscale skis with 3-pins maybe? Want to go get my Birkebeiner on Smiley.
Randy

« Reply #8 on: 01/30/18, 10:16 PM »

... Fishscale skis with 3-pins maybe? ....

Kick wax -- Norwegians don't need no stinking fish scales.

My Norwegian XC ski instructor was horrified by the idea of "waxless" skis when they started appearing in the 70s.  By '80s he had accepted them -- manly because Cascade Mountain conditions really are tough to wax for -- with the temperature hovering close to the freezing point getting kick wax right is tricky -- impossible if you are climbing more than 1000 feet. 

In areas where temps are consistently colder -- e.g. below 25F and you only need green and blue waxes -- kick waxing works quite well.
Kyle Miller

« Reply #9 on: 02/01/18, 04:55 AM »

You should really check out the Heavy Water Wars. Another great series about the race between the Germans and the Americans to create the Atomic bomb and the supplies they needed were in Norway!

In a perfect world, everybody would act with the correct etiquette and follow the rules. Human nature as it is= NOT GOING TO HAPPEN....no matter how many discussion on ski blogs/websites. Face reality............
Randy

« Reply #10 on: 02/01/18, 11:24 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/embed/axBiR8ZipPM
hyak.net

« Reply #11 on: 02/06/18, 03:57 PM »

A couple weeks ago I watched a ski movie made in 1976 called "Snow Beast".  If you like 'B' movies its kind of fun.  They have the entire movie on Youtube. 
It was filmed at Crested Butte ski resort in Colorado. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELllKW-f7Q

Micah
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: 02/06/18, 06:09 PM »

X: I think that's the movie that Randy linked above.
SKIER-X

« Reply #13 on: 02/06/18, 07:50 PM »

Thanks Micah , it sure is !

Skiing Batman,1000 missions club,proudly censored  poster and observer.Zambonista International Night Ice Meister. Scouts lead g. . . . follow. A.D.A. approved  trail setter. Black market guide.Seldom Scene.Non person.Imaginary friend.Amateur psychologist. Psychic. Aura checker.Asylum resident #33
alecapone

« Reply #14 on: 02/10/18, 04:36 AM »

Ha.
Jph, that was probably the best sequence. It looked like me and my buddies trying to split board ski.

And thanks, my movie list grows.

The snow beast reminds me,  can't think of the name. There is another bad b type yeti movie where it it supposed to be on glacier peak during a bc ski trip. Funniest part is when they are lost on the mountain and guy pulls out what appears to be a road map. He points and says. " we are here, we need to get here, to muckleshoot... " be one check of a traverse.

The movie was obviously filmed at a ski resort. All the skiing was on the glacier peak groomers.

scott
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.