telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
08/18/18, 02:44 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Strava global heatmap
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strava global heatmap  (Read 776 times)
bbrelje
5Member

Strava global heatmap
« on: 01/28/18, 12:31 PM »

This Strava feature made the news today for giving away a couple of "secret" foreign military bases, but I was more interested in the data on winter sports.

Strava published a map with every single trip logged into the site for the entire world. Crucially, it has a winter sports filter. This includes downhill, backcountry, xc, snowshoeing, and anybody else who mistakenly logged a trip as a winter activity. I suspect roller skiing is also included, since the only winter activity that shows up strongly in Seattle proper is around the Greenlake Bike path.

The link I posted should default to the Snoqualmie Pass area. Note the distinct path of the Patrol Race route from Summit West to Meany Lodge along with usage patterns in the Alpental Valley. Multiple variations on Silver Peak emerge, too.

If you are intent on keeping your secret stash private, it may be a wise idea to change your Strava privacy settings or not use the app at all for BC trips. Even if your activity is only visible to friends, I believe that does not keep your depersonalized data from being shown on the heatmap.

Anybody notice anything interesting in PNW backcountry routes? Lots of data to go over. Strava offered some general observations in this blog post.

At Mt. Rainier the map shows a huge amount of traffic out of Paradise, but also some significant activity on the Finger and even a few (up)tracks on Liberty Ridge. If folks are violating the permanent closure areas at Crystal, they're not logging it on the app.

If you've ever been curious whether there's a consensus exit from the Adams SW chutes: there isn't.

In the Wasatch, it's hard to tell where the resorts end and the backcountry begins. The south side of Mt. Superior, a backcountry route across from Snowbird/Alta, looks nearly as heavily-used as some of the in-bounds runs. Either they're getting out way more than us, or they're heavier Strava users (or both?).
« Last Edit: 01/28/18, 01:00 PM by bbrelje » Logged
BCSchonwald
5Member

Re: Strava global heatmap
« Reply #1 on: 02/18/18, 11:47 PM »

Thanks for posting this! I will cross reference it with an Near moss and accident database I am working on.
John Morrow

Re: Strava global heatmap
« Reply #2 on: 02/19/18, 05:58 AM »

Maybe this isn't accurate, but I find it interesting that trip reports seem to be way down, yet folks still wanna get out there in the cyberworld just where they have been.  Enlightening,even if it is only a sub-sect of folks who have this technology.  Only one party shows going out to the Unicorn saddle in the Tatoosh.  But the Fryingpan descent is way more visited than I'd expect with mid-winter access.
Three users crossed Joe Lake out of Snoqualmie.  Same party...and each person wanted their own record?  Shows the approach track to Alaska Mtn but not the descent.  This is kinda fun.

Interesting stuff.  My computer is too slow, or connection too poor to run it smoothly, unfortunately.
John
« Last Edit: 02/19/18, 06:06 AM by John Morrow » Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.