Warren Miller Passed Away Yesterday

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Jan 2018 13:20 #230902 by pipedream
Warren Miller Passed Away Yesterday was created by pipedream
By now I'm sure most of you have heard, but Warren Miller went up to the great pillow lines in the sky yesterday. A legend in the snow industry, an inspiration to many and a pioneer in ski movies, he passed away yesterday at his home on Orcas Island at the age of 93

Warren A. Miller, who rose up from a Depression-era childhood to become the world's foremost ski filmmaker and a beloved spokesperson for the sport, passed away January 24, 2018, at his home on Orcas Island, WA. He was 93 years old.

Warren earned global acclaim and a passionate, multi-generational following for his annual ski feature film, which kicked off the ski season for more than 60 years, showing in hundreds of cities in the U.S. and around the world. Packed with adventure and exotic travel, Warren's distinct, droll narration and humorous hijinks on the slopes highlighted his films.

"Looking back on what set my films apart, it was the emphasis on entertaining people, which means making them laugh, rather than just filming people turning right or left," Warren once said.

Warren's talents cut a wide swath beyond ski filmmaking. He produced more than 500 films in all, primarily covering outdoor pursuits, including surfing, sailing, and other water sports. As an artist, cartoonist and author, he wrote some 1,200 columns and 11 books.

He was a World War II veteran, a ski instructor and talented ski racer, an accomplished surfer, and a champion sailor. He took up windsurfing in his 60s, and then turned to destination motor boating in his 70s and 80s, exploring the Northwest and Alaska from his home on Orcas Island.

Warren is survived by his wife of 30 years, Laurie; by his sons Scott (Melissa) and Kurt (Ali); by his daughter, Chris (David Lucero); his stepson, Colin Kaufmann; three granddaughters (Valeska, Kasimira, and Jenna) and two grandsons (Alexander and Ryan). Plus, thousands of wonderful friends and countless loyal fans as well as his three black dogs. He was extremely grateful for his tireless caregiver, Ginger Moore.

For those who are able to, ski a favorite run or enjoy another activity you love in Warren's memory.

In lieu of flowers which only die, Warren requested any memorial gifts to please benefit the Warren Miller Performing Arts Center in Big Sky, MT. To donate and for more information: warrenmillerpac.org

As Warren might say: "I'll see you same time, same place next year, only I'll be watching from a different mountaintop."

Source

RIP Warren. Condolences to his friends and family.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Jan 2018 16:23 #230906 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Warren Miller Passed Away Yesterday
even this crowd should know 'you shoulda been here yesterday'
rip WM

More
25 Jan 2018 18:37 #230908 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: Warren Miller Passed Away Yesterday
To this day, my biggest shock watching a ski / snowboard movie was not with huge airs and steeps but seeing my old stomping grounds in a tiny country in Eastern Europe featured in one of his films...

RIP Warren
Ivo

More
25 Jan 2018 20:55 #230910 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Warren Miller Passed Away Yesterday
The man certainly had a unique niche in helping make our world a better place.

Today I got a request from a local newspaper journalist with this request:
"Someone here is writing a story to run Sunday. Basically, all I need to get is a sentence or two to add about the impact he made in the Mountaineering community."

Your feedback/thoughts on the matter?

More
25 Jan 2018 20:58 #230911 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Warren Miller Passed Away Yesterday
A good friend of ours skied with Warren and Laurie way back years ago. She has some great stories to tell...

He had a good ride.

Zap & Jill

More
29 Jan 2018 12:29 #230957 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Warren Miller Passed Away Yesterday
A small tribute to Warren who delivered the goods, always:

vimeo.com/253314371