Home > Forum > Crystal - 1/24

Crystal - 1/24

• CD
  • [CD]
More
24 Jan 2018 14:54 #230895 by CD
Crystal - 1/24 was created by CD
Big crowds today in the morning and all day on C6. After things settled down, REX and GV had no lines. Fairly busy for a Wednesday. I'm going to call it a .5 for crowds.

Rain disguised as snow at the base all day. Upper mountain 25 degrees and snowing all day. Visibility was bad at times with howling winds blowing snow on the ridge tops, but better once off the ridge. Another .5 for weather and visibility.

Snow was deep and heavy. Crystal wisely chose not to put out a powder alert this morning instead calling it a dumpage alert. The coverage was great and the snow fairly decent off-piste. Heavy traffic areas on Lucky Shot, etc. quickly turned into a very hard bumpy surface that was difficult to ski. Fly all the way down the front side with little effort, then hit the run out to REX that just hammered me. Still, I'll give the snow a 1.

So, a 2 out of 3 day for me.

The pay lot was very reasonably sized today and mostly full when we left, which was on the early side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2018 16:18 #230835 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Re: Crystal - 1/24
spot on report above.. I came late (for me) and stacked my skis by the Gondy wall, saw the Boss man smoozing with the front liners, when I came out, everybody was gone and the Gondy was still, Funny!, anyway GV skied well as did the Elk, Willies and repeat and coldface and I was almost done, I still don't have my ski legs under me and I need that at my age, so I did a slow slide over to 6 and PB far right and I was done like a Sailor on leave with $50 in his pocket, I did not last long.... I enjoyed somewhat deep snow skiing and yup, not fluff or Pow, although I am sure the waterfall found some blower smoke pow somewhere, but he does have his ski legs under him and then some..... he knows thing too. Crystal looked almost normal. keep it coming Ullr, BTW I also saw the 2nd Bossman with a shovel in his hand in the AM and he still can put his back into it. Great to be in the Hills Should be good in the AM

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Jan 2018 17:10 #230729 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: Crystal - 1/24
No need to stand in the rain for an hour for Chinook, we loaded 10 minutes behind, and dry was just fine. Thought of a new term, 2-second snow. Snow in the air, 2 seconds on your coat it was rain. From the base of Rex up, nothing but snow - and wind. A couple turns of wind-scoured ice, then excellent snow on The Frontside. Especially after everyone left to stand in line at Six. A blasting SW wind was great, as it smoothed and filled in last week's bumps, especially on the other side of the trees. Some would call it heavy; sturdy NW Crystal skiers called it great.

As the day went on, it got grayer, smoother, snowier, and colder. And more fun. But, we got colder and more tired. A most excellent day.

Ken
+

• eskinmo
  • [eskinmo]
More
24 Jan 2018 20:53 #230900 by eskinmo
Replied by eskinmo on topic Re: Crystal - 1/24
Its not heavy it's "surfy", and surfing is like like the coolest sport. totally great day . 7th chair loaded and ran into the sweep on the way out. Tons of great snow ( for this year ) and the freezing level was just above the base witch is like amazing ( this season ). and the crowds were not even close to as big as the last two (wetter) powder days. So once again Crystal has taken it too eleven, while the other guys are stuck at ten.