Home > Forum > 1-23-18 Large climate-change avalanches

1-23-18 Large climate-change avalanches

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Jan 2018 07:47 #159414 by Gary Vogt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
26 Jan 2018 10:07 #159467 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: 1-23-18 Large climate-change avalanches
The video is of Glaciar Perito Moreno. Its toe collapses, sheds and calves on a regular basis, viewable from an elaborate system of parking lots and boardwalks, accessible by paved highways. This is completely unrelated to the phenomenon described by the original post.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark

• John Morrow
  • [John_Morrow]
More
27 Jan 2018 10:33 #159493 by John Morrow
Replied by John Morrow on topic Re: 1-23-18 Large climate-change avalanches

Each individual American on average is responsible for a little over 16 tons of carbon emissions into the atmosphere each year.

There are many things that individuals can chose to do in their personal lives in order to reduce the impact of climate change.

davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/air-travel-climate-change/

"Although aviation is a relatively small industry, it has a disproportionately large impact on the climate system. It accounts for four to nine per cent of the total climate change impact of human activity."

It's hard to have hope in light of that stat.  We're all guilty and take little, basically insignificant, steps to curb our impact so we can rationalize our wasteful, fun hog existence. 

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
27 Jan 2018 10:51 #159494 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: 1-23-18 Large climate-change avalanches

Are you saying that climate change is not accelerating the receding process for that particular glacier?

Imo, Climate change is the relating Factor.

Did I say that? C'mon.

You tried to make a point by using some stock footage which did not, in fact, have any bearing or relevance. I merely pointed that out.

In response, you just posted a whole mess of rambling observations, opinions, and prescriptions, plus one anecdote, which have nothing whatsoever to do with my post. OK.

I"ll add—purely in reference to your statement about "the receding process for that particular glacier"—that Perito Moreno is not receding. It'toe calves into the water, as shown, and has for quite some time. Of course it will inevitably begin receding sooner or later as a result of climate change, and you don'need to argue that point. However, you might want to be a bit more careful with the examples you use.

Or not. Your choice.

Mark