Home > Forum > Stevens pass touring spot for sale.

Stevens pass touring spot for sale.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
19 Jan 2018 08:04 - 19 Jan 2018 08:16 #230808 by alecapone
Stevens pass touring spot for sale. was created by alecapone
The privately held clearcuts that people have been skiing around arrowhead the past few years appear to be for sale....along with most of arrowhead and bows up routes. A little bit of Jim hill exit.

www.bluesummithomes.com/wa/leavenworth/u...us-hwy-2-xxx/1195649

I would like to buy it, but a little short on the 1 million asking price. Could be bad news if it ends up in the wrong hands.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• altasnob
  • [altasnob]
More
19 Jan 2018 08:21 #230809 by altasnob
Replied by altasnob on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
Looks like a sweet location for a commercial backcountry lodge, and since it is on private land, no need to work with the forest service to get a permit to build. Although probably would need forest service approval with guests skiing in the nearby national forest. Kinda like this guy did in Colorado. Or a logging company can buy it, mow down all the trees, and ban skiing on the private property.

More
19 Jan 2018 08:34 #230810 by Pete_H
Replied by Pete_H on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
Well it's been an active logging op for the last few years. Probably improved any skiing that is there since it's a bit low elevation. Great place for a house if you like living in a clear cut and not getting any sun most of the year.

• altasnob
  • [altasnob]
More
19 Jan 2018 09:56 #230811 by altasnob
The property line boundary on the for sale website show the property goes all the way to the slide path coming from the summit of Jim Hill Mountain (and also near the summit of Arrowhead). Could build your dream chalet at the upper property boundary and have easy access to the upper bowl. The current owner is nice enough to let skiers ski down/up that drainage from Jim Hill (or at least I assume so, because everyone does this). Who is the say the new owner will be so generous. There are lots of private logging lands in Washington where the owner prohibits public access due to liability concerns or just because it's their property and they can do what they want. Maybe Cascade Backcountry Alliance can work with whoever buys the property to continue to allow skiers to pass through this private property. Or maybe the Nature Conservancy or some other non-profit private land conservation group would consider buying this property. That is only way to ensure it remains open to the public for future generations.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
19 Jan 2018 11:43 #230812 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.

Looks like a sweet location for a commercial backcountry lodge, and since it is on private land, no need to work with the forest service to get a permit to build. Although probably would need forest service approval with guests skiing in the nearby national forest. Kinda like this guy did in Colorado. Or a logging company can buy it, mow down all the trees, and ban skiing on the private property.

A lodge would be amazing! And improved parking. We can dream...

More
19 Jan 2018 12:41 #230813 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
There are probably a few of us with a some bucks laying around... and this market isn't going to go keep going up for ever. Someone draw up a land deal and we can by shares and start building that hut!

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
19 Jan 2018 16:05 #230817 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
I'm in!

I actually found that while looking for a small cheap piece of property just for some overnight parking options at the pass.

Only 1/10 of what I was looking to spend. Can I get 9 others?

I envisioned free parking, with pay as you go upgrades. Electricity. Indoor laundry and gear dry station
Communal hangout yurts.showers... all coin up. Or bit coin.

Or something. Not going to make money collecting 1/4's, but a non profit would be cool.

More
19 Jan 2018 16:18 #230818 by RonL
Sounds great, sign a legal waiver so you can't sue the owners and a small membership fee gets a parking pass

Maybe a Sauna

More
19 Jan 2018 20:59 #230832 by Shred
Replied by Shred on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
Put me down as a share holder. Maybe start a pyramid scheme? First and original investors get A lot free parking , and early a.m. bumps? We should defiantly get the apres bar initiated and rolling asap. 👍 Ohh, and camping is allowed

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
19 Jan 2018 21:54 #230834 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
I love the idea of a partnership. How much is it, Scott? a cool mil? What if there were 50 of us TAYer's? $20k each? Tall order. Would you pay $20k to have all-time access to a yurt and parking? I think I might. Who is a lawyer here? Let's put an offer together! You could leave your stuff in the yurt. That would be awesome!

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Jan 2018 15:22 #230837 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
There is a lawyer in this thread but I will let that person reveal him/herself :)

More
20 Jan 2018 21:37 #230843 by jtack
Replied by jtack on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
Scott, put me down as a foundational member of the pyramid scheme, I'm in.

More
21 Jan 2018 07:43 #230845 by RonL
Getting down into the $160k range but that's still pretty steep for me with closing costs and all that. Any one else interested? It's getting close...

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
22 Jan 2018 09:47 - 22 Jan 2018 09:50 #230858 by alecapone

Yes and a helicopter-ski operation is a must have. They could operate out of the private land and we could all support a permit for the national forest there. I'm in.

And maybe we could support helicopter ski operations all over the state and all the local back country skiers will be happy.

Sorry couldn't resist. :)

Ha.. thanks. I really did get a chuckle. I only posted that to see how many comments until a helicopter got mentioned. ;)

This all is honestly beyond my ability to make anything real happen. Any one feel free to run with the idea. Execution trumps dreaming. I'm sure some one with a law or real estate.background would be a better spearhead. I did jokingly fish it around, so the right plan might have some interest...

You might want to add in the cost of earth moving equipment and fuel for the parking lot alone... ;)

Really, I'd like it to stay public, with a nice snow park...

More
22 Jan 2018 12:07 #230861 by RonL
Ah man, that puts it over 200k a skier again! Unless more step up I will probably fold next. Fun day dream tho.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
22 Jan 2018 13:52 #230862 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
I'm kind of surprised that this isn't a super popular idea with pages and pages of "count me in". It would probably take someone with passion to move it forward and make it easy for us lazies to jump on board.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Jan 2018 18:46 #230868 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.

I'm kind of surprised that this isn't a super popular idea with pages and pages of "count me in". It would probably take someone with passion to move it forward and make it easy for us lazies to jump on board.

We talked about it at home last night -- As a backcountry-touring/snowplay venue the plowing and liability insurance costs are likely to make it challenging as a commercial enterprise.

If CBA wanted to go big, though, this is the sort of thing that could open up a whole new touring venue. Might even get Stevens to chip in just to reduce their parking load.

• altasnob
  • [altasnob]
More
22 Jan 2018 21:22 - 23 Jan 2018 09:11 #230871 by altasnob
Doing a Chelan County parcel search for Geo ID 261509000000 shows that the current owner of the land is Weyerhaeuser. The appraised value for tax purposes is $21,498. In 1990 the timber value was assessed and came back with a number 12,738 (seems too low for value in dollars so maybe that's trees on the property?). The roads are already in place, although it appears the very start of the road off of Highway 2 passes through BNSF land, and then very briefly passes through US National Forest Land, so you would want to make sure there is an easement that would continue to allow access. There is a nice spot at the very southern edge (top) of the property boundary on the way to Arrowhead that is relatively flat and near a water source (although I doubt there are any surface water rights with the property, but may qualify for a permit-exempt domestic well use; may not work for commercial hut). Looks like a good spot for a yurt (or McMansion) whoever gets to it first.
Attachments:

More
23 Jan 2018 10:28 #230875 by TonyP
Replied by TonyP on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.

Doing a Chelan County parcel search for Geo ID 261509000000 shows that the current owner of the land is Weyerhaeuser. The appraised value for tax purposes is $21,498. In 1990 the timber value was assessed and came back with a number 12,738 (seems too low for value in dollars so maybe that's trees on the property?). The roads are already in place, although it appears the very start of the road off of Highway 2 passes through BNSF land, and then very briefly passes through US National Forest Land, so you would want to make sure there is an easement that would continue to allow access. There is a nice spot at the very southern edge (top) of the property boundary on the way to Arrowhead that is relatively flat and near a water source (although I doubt there are any surface water rights with the property, but may qualify for a permit-exempt domestic well use; may not work for commercial hut). Looks like a good spot for a yurt (or McMansion) whoever gets to it first.

If this idea gains traction and is pursued, I will gladly volunteer to help with any water right assements, hydrologic/hydrogeologic evlauation or well permitting issues.

More
23 Jan 2018 11:33 #230876 by RonL
I like the spot with the x. As someone else said, not much sunlight for homesteading but if you are a powder farmer it should be just right.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
23 Jan 2018 19:57 #230881 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
Don't we have any TAY Microsoft, Amazon, Google, etc., millionaires willing to throw in for this admirable goal? I'm thinking they're lurking out there.

• altasnob
  • [altasnob]
More
23 Jan 2018 20:50 - 23 Jan 2018 20:55 #230884 by altasnob
Here's an interactive map of the property from the realtor: mapright.com/ranching/maps/0400217bba66f...4c0f01f3263ee3/share

• ccwaskier
  • [ccwaskier]
More
24 Jan 2018 08:38 #230887 by ccwaskier
Replied by ccwaskier on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
If this progresses I would be interested in learning more and potentially going out with the group and seeing the property.

For those that know the site, do you think there is potential for putting in mountain bike trails?

More
24 Jan 2018 11:00 #230889 by sgertz
Replied by sgertz on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
I love this. Unfortunately, I live in Seattle. Ergo, I'm house-rich, cash-poor.

If this comes through, I would be more than willing to help out with any geotechnical aspects. Hell, I could even coordinate the hiring of a well driller and oversee the drilling.

A man can dream...

More
24 Jan 2018 14:01 #230894 by TonyP
Replied by TonyP on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.

I love this. Unfortunately, I live in Seattle. Ergo, I'm house-rich, cash-poor.

If this comes through, I would be more than willing to help out with any geotechnical aspects. Hell, I could even coordinate the hiring of a well driller and oversee the drilling.

A man can dream...

I can certainly think of worse locations to log a hole.

More
25 Jan 2018 09:52 #230901 by rover
Replied by rover on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
Like others, I'm cash poor at the moment with a new little one. But I'd be happy to volunteer environmental permitting services if this does come to fruition. Having a membership basis backcountry spot would be pretty cool.

• Skier of the Hood
  • [Skier of the Hood]
More
25 Jan 2018 18:24 - 25 Jan 2018 18:37 #230907 by Skier of the Hood
Replied by Skier of the Hood on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
If you can get the land, the state has cost-share grants available to help pay for things like parking lots, trail improvements, snowcats, and maybe huts?? (;

Copy pasted from my CB alliance post:
"Currently we have no representation on the Recreational Trails Program Advisory Group &lt;www.rco.wa.gov/grants/advisory_committees/rtp.shtml>; The pie is sure tasty if we can get a piece of it <secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/projectsn...ectNumber=14-2094>; <secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/projectsn...ectNumber=14-1833>; <secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/projectsn...ectNumber=14-2104>;. In case you didn't know you can search for grants using prism, you will find mucho funds appropriated to snowmobiling and cross country skiing with zero for backcountry skiers."

Someone mentioned possible difficulties with water permitting. Difficulties are unlikely as the groundwater exemption is 5,000 gpd and the wenatchee instream flow rule I believe exempts some amount of new domestic consumptive water use up to a certain cumulative amount (has not yet been exceeded). Could be some county ordinance that might create difficulties with regards to water (when you apply for your building permit) but I doubt it. The new "Hirst" bill (poor disguise for new land use regulations/policies) does not impact the Wenatchee Basin with regards to acquiring domestic quantities of water (at least for the moment). Of course if someone knows otherwise I am always up for learning (:
fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/fsvr/ecylcyf...ssb6091-dpew-map.pdf

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
29 Jan 2018 04:53 #230946 by alecapone
I didn't mean I wasn't interested. Im still looking for property..Just not fit to lead such an effort. Group land deals and legalities aren't my forte. I see free offers of services I didn't even think of yet. Geohydrotechnolegalist?

. I'll offer to drive the plow, and be parking lot host/security.

Using the avenues above, a group like CBA has a good chance of pulling something off. It would be a big step, but great to see.

Do we have any grant writers?

• CBAlliance
  • [CBAlliance]
More
31 Jan 2018 11:34 #230977 by CBAlliance
Replied by CBAlliance on topic Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
We are looking at this seriously, although it would be wildly above our operational capacity and we promise absolutely nothing. Also, simply acquiring the land would be a huge coup... developing it in any way would be even more difficult, and here's why:

A structure that might work well to purchase the land is something similar to what the Pacific Crest Trail Association did to acquire the other private parcel closer to Stevens pass that was for sale. They raised funds privately to purchase the land, with the understanding that the parcel would be purchased from them by the Forest Service with funds from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. Unfortunately, the LWCF funds were appropriated for firefighting, leaving the PCTA holding the land until at least the next year (with, one assumes, the associated tax burden). They think it is likely that they will get the funds this year.

Unfortunately, the deadline for fiscal year 2019 LWCF project proposals has already passed, so it would be fiscal year 2020 at the earliest. It's also worth noting that with the previous project the PCT access was threatened, which has huge resonance with many donors, whereas losing Jim Hill isn't exactly the shuttering of the Haute Route. Also, the point of the LWCF is that the Forest Service ends up with the land, and we as CBA would just be a placeholder to prevent private acquisition. Thus, we would likely not develop the land in any way unless that would increase the likelihood of acquiring federal funding.

We will look for some way to gauge funding interest but I suspect we will have a very hard time acquiring $1m, even if it is to be paid back through the LWCF.

Hopefully more encouraging news to follow as we look into it more.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
10 Feb 2018 05:09 - 10 Feb 2018 05:28 #231051 by alecapone
Lol. Not the haute route?!?

Thanks for looking into that. Was not sure if CBA was aware, but confirmed it with Rowan Stewart. Another hurdle is that area lacks any type of community support.  Nobody has to look at whatever happens to it.

Honestly, I never ride there. In 10+ years, I've only been in that zone once. Parking has not been the deterent. I'm not sure how busy it gets. Maybe a dozen on a busy weekend?  I'm also ignorant on how much available skiing to spread out, and not get overcrowded.

How many parking spaces would be too many for arrowhead/ Jim hill?