Home > Trip Reports > January 28-31, 2006, Wallowas

January 28-31, 2006, Wallowas

1/28/06
Posted by stevieD on 2/1/06 11:24pm
Spent a few nights in the Wallowas at the big Sheep huts/tents at 6200ft run by Wingski. We found 24 inches on top of the most recent crust about 1000 vft above the huts. The terrain is real nice, but we did not venture too far because once we broke a trail we had plenty of goods. We were also limited by our interpretation of snow stability which kept us away from steeper open faces -- there are plenty of tree runs, and old burns though. The snow was light and dry, but a warming trend hit on monday during our ski out. Picture of Tom having visibility issues at link below.   :)
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/76398054@N00/94374700/
Nice, Nice, Nice!  Looks like you hit the killer Pow!

The shots when the sun came out are especially nice, better than what's on their web site.

You should submit a few to them...

Damn dude!

I will take those visibility issues any day. My buddy has been wanting to get  in a trip down there for awhile now. Your pics make me wanna go there tomorow. Nicely done!!!

Hey Steve.  Looks like I'm not the only one filled with envy.  Those are some great photos.  Just curious, what was the stability issue that kept you in the trees?  Not that it looks like you missed out by being safe.  It's more of a continental snowpack there, right?  

Oh, how were the accomodations?  Appropriate for a 4 month old?

E

Amazing photos - those first few pow shots are incredible.

;D

Reply to this TR

january-28-31-2006-wallowas
stevieD
2006-02-02 07:24:11