January 17, 2018 Fernie

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Jan 2018 17:03 #230789 by Zap
January 17, 2018 Fernie was created by Zap
We are back again this year. Fernie is also a member of the RCR family of ski resorts that include Kimberley, Nakiska, and Kicking Horse so w e got a free ticket with MAX pass. Remember the "real estate"part of the deal. Fernie has lots of new condos and expensive lodges. They also had a fog layer today that covered the upper 20 percent of the terrain.  So skiing the upper bowls was in a whiteout.  They only received an inch of new,  but the groomed terrain was beautiful packed powder.  The area is enormous. With 5 bowls and Polar Peak it is powder heaven. The city of Fernie is only 5 miles from the ski area with tons of motels and restaurants. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Jan 2018 18:55 #230805 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: January 17, 2018 Fernie
Keep the TRs coming Zap. We always look forward to your exotic travels 8)
Any chance of an occasional photo to fuel our envy?

• Mike Cheney
  • [Mike Cheney]
More
18 Jan 2018 22:49 - 19 Jan 2018 16:26 #230806 by Mike Cheney
Replied by Mike Cheney on topic Re: January 17, 2018 Fernie
Thanks for your Fernie report... will you be doing any touring in the Lizard Range (at the ends of town)?... EDIT: Avy Danger is too high from the Fernie email list

Some buddy's and I are leaving Seattle Sat morning for up there... My first trip up the Powder Hiway was in 2010, and a documentary about the band Rush had come out that year - I borrowed it from the SPL & took it with me... So the guitarist, Alex Lifeson was born in Fernie...

I have only Mtn Biked there - went w/a a guide one day and did 3 more out of the bike park solo... All the terrain in the Craig Kelly documentary makes it look totally worth it! One friend might have been up there today... He has a Max Pass also...

I bet it would be hard to tour when you have 5 days at Fernie and Kicking Horse! I will be curious what your opinion is of the the other RCR resorts?....

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jan 2018 19:20 #230823 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: January 17, 2018 Fernie
Mike,

Years ago, a friend and I filled 2 spots at a  great price for cat skiing for 4 days with Island Lake Lodge. We had 4 deep powder days in the Lizard Range.  ;)