Home > Trip Reports > Jan 14, 2018, ONP - Hurricane Hordes

Jan 14, 2018, ONP - Hurricane Hordes

1/14/18
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 1/14/18 1:00pm
Got an early start in hopes of avoiding the hordes that often appear with nice weather and the MLK holiday. Thick fog on the road but glorious sunshine above 2000 feet. The snow was icy and crusty this morning but quickly softened and became shorts and T shirt weather!

Best spring skiing ever for mid winter on sun exposed aspects. Some evidence of soft slides in the bowl and large cornice failures on northerly slopes. Some pinwheeling on the decent but nothing huge. The hordes came clear into view on the return. More folks (snowshoers) along that route than I have ever seen!
So it's not always like that? Good to know!

A friend and I were among the hordes. We used XC skis on the road then hiked the final slopes on foot. Such a beautiful day. Our first time up Hurricane Hill.

Well Lowell, if a guru like you just did it now, it must not be that classic   8)
Next time I'll bet you take some turning skis and skins for the bowl or the N side.

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=39498.msg159165#msg159165 date=1516065304]
So it's not always like that? Good to know!

A friend and I were among the hordes. We used XC skis on the road then hiked the final slopes on foot. Such a beautiful day. Our first time up Hurricane Hill.

Yea Lowell, it's like that all the time. :)

Reply to this TR

jan-14-2018-onp-hurricane-hordes
runcle
2018-01-14 21:00:44