Crystal - 01/14 Big Sun

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Jan 2018 14:28 #230741 by ddk
Crystal - 01/14 Big Sun was created by ddk
Short Report - Big sun, Big warm, Big winds up top...and very Big crowds by 10am that never went
away during my very ultra short day.   Fast marginal groomers early (MIFB was the best soft early)...

Wordy Report - Arrived typically early, lots of folks around (race today?), lineup for CHex not to bad
and I got off it without it stopping - not so on REX which had a few issues early...When the ultra early
crowd hit REX, I headed over to HC just in time for opening....did a number of runs mid (slot #2)
Campbell Basin in the soft manky muck - nice enough but more traffic on Saturday would have helped.
Did an early stop at CB lodge hoping the crowds would go to lunch after I left - NOT!  Not a really
bad lift line day running the singles line...but....Snow was max soft and not packed out....early run
down SunnySide was doable going in the right direction, but at mid day it was maybe even for the
Coombas not so pleasant of a work out.  So got tired and didn't want to wait the lift lines and bailed
way to early for a "real" quality day....Almost full on spring day, but the BIG winds kept it from
total Hawaii....Still a very nice fast fun soft spring snow day...lots of rocks popped out in the last
couple of days.

Other - Big day at CB lodge - thanks Chub for the very first Chicken Noodle soup of the season (at
least for me)...very good with real chicken and a lot of it...

Other Other - Putty Truck report.....Massive pay lot this morning and it had a lot of cars in it today...
not all with permits...rest of the lots packed all the way to F and turning away folks....very big crowd.
Bucket was on wind hold when I left with a lot of tourists waiting in line.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
14 Jan 2018 22:41 #230752 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: Crystal - 01/14 Big Sun
Arrived 8:15, parked up close and noticed it was already 40 F.  Green Valley sun and Iceberg Gulch was very nice all day.  Around noon we skated out through gate 1 and traversed the sunny highway to Penny Dawgs -- and then into the shady crap -- but then back into the sun for some Brand X turns! While my amigos were whining, I was smiling and quite happy with how yesterday's careful tuning of my Rossi Experience 88 was working out today.  We chatted the liftie up a tad - he appreciated the company because nobody was out North. The only other chair that had no line was C4 (aka not-so-quick-silver).  Got to the Elk just in time to watch the Saints' safeties collide with each other to loose the game on the last play to the Vikings.

Spring skiing in January!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.