telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
02/19/18, 03:38 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  The commercialization of nature
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: The commercialization of nature  (Read 3281 times)
Heli-Free North Cascades

Re: The commercialization of nature
« Reply #50 on: 01/28/18, 09:24 AM »

Continued: while I continuously put forth this agenda here at t a y and received a lot of personal attacks from what I assumed were guide members and groupies, one of the members told me that I sounded like a broken record.

Just goes to show you how the pursuit of money  sets public land policy. Those that hold such a lease  will Resort to any means in order to hold on to the goose that laid the golden egg right in their laps, despite what's best for their community and the planet at Large.

* bctoonride4.jpg (69.09 KB, 1000x418 - viewed 429 times.)

* bctoonride_6_7.jpg (91.95 KB, 1000x418 - viewed 427 times.)

* bctoonride5.jpg (86.79 KB, 1000x418 - viewed 431 times.)
« Last Edit: 01/28/18, 09:37 AM by Heli-Free North Cascades » Logged

two sets of principles. They are the principles of power and privilege and the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege, it will always be at the expense of truth and justice
C Hedges
Randy

« Reply #51 on: 01/28/18, 01:08 PM »

From my knothole, If I was going to get worked up about safety records ,  near misses and bad outcomes not being publicly disclosed ,  I would put my energy into having the laws changed concerning doctors.

People in my family have suffered botched surgeries and only after the fact while working with other doctors to reduce the damage did we find out that among  other doctors it is well known that the original doctors have a poor track record.
Heli-Free North Cascades

« Reply #52 on: 01/28/18, 03:00 PM »

From my knothole, If I was going to get worked up about safety records ,  near misses and bad outcomes not being publicly disclosed ,  I would put my energy into having the laws changed concerning doctors.

People in my family have suffered botched surgeries and only after the fact while working with other doctors to reduce the damage did we find out that among  other doctors it is well known that the original doctors have a poor track record.
I know what you mean Randy. My dad suffered a stroke when his Airway closed down after throat surgery.

But I don't know much about how the medical world works.

The natural world of mountain Terrain has been one of my life Pursuits and therefore I'm more familiar with that world.

I do know that holding commercial ski guides accountable for their actions in the backcountry affect the safe and peaceful enjoyment of the mountains  for myself, loved ones and friends. 

Accountability leads to better decision-making.

There seems to be little impetus on the part of the Forest Service to hold guide Outfitters accountable for negligent actions.

We now know that it's okay for a commercial guide to trigger an avalanche down on any touring group without being held accountable by the Forest Service. And that isn't right.

Each near-miss accident should be subject to the same kind of scrutiny that is often seen when guides investigate recreational near-miss accidents and post the results on nwac.

So what are the ramifications when recreational accidents are highlighted and Commercial guide accidents are hidden?

Well for one, the appearance is that recreational groups are more prone to near-miss Avalanche accidents then guided groups.

Another reason would be that knowledge is hidden. I have seen some accident reports from professionals  such as NASA, NTSB and Ski Patrol personsonal where the knowledge and analysis of a near-miss accident is of great benefit in terms of Public Safety.

Imagine if members of the NTSB had a financial interest in one particular Airline and only reported near-miss incidents for all the other airlines. Which airline would you most likely choose to employ?

What would happen if one guide Outfitter company decides to disclose and analyze their near-miss accidents and all the rest of the guide Outfitters kept them hidden.

Which company would you be inclined to hire?

Would you hire the company that showed integrity and ethical Behavior or would you hire the company that apparently had zero near-miss Avalanche accidents?

Which company would you want as a member of your community?

« Last Edit: 01/28/18, 03:03 PM by Heli-Free North Cascades » Logged

two sets of principles. They are the principles of power and privilege and the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege, it will always be at the expense of truth and justice
C Hedges
Heli-Free North Cascades

« Reply #53 on: 02/14/18, 12:13 PM »

"Well, I dreamed I saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun,
There were children crying
And colors flying
All around the chosen ones.
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun.
They were flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home in the sun.
Flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home."

Neil Young
After the Gold Rush

C Hedges
oldschooldropout
5Member

« Reply #54 on: 02/14/18, 06:44 PM »

I am at a loss for words. Might I recommend that to the OP.

Bruce
BillK

« Reply #55 on: 02/14/18, 09:01 PM »

"Well, I dreamed I saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun,
There were children crying
And colors flying
All around the chosen ones.
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun.
They were flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home in the sun.
Flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home."

Neil Young
After the Gold Rush

Amen!. ... Finally something I can get behind
« Last Edit: 02/15/18, 10:10 AM by Micah » Logged
Heli-Free North Cascades

« Reply #56 on: 02/16/18, 08:11 AM »

I am at a loss for words. Might I recommend that to the OP.

Bruce
sorry, but your statement is a bit contradictory.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2014/oct/01/george-monbiot-war-on-the-living-world-wildlife

"This is a moment at which anyone with the capacity for reflection should stop and wonder what we are doing."

"It's time to shout stop on this war on the living world

Our consumption is trashing a natural world infinitely more fascinating and intricate than the stuff we produce."

"The loss of wildlife is a loss of wonder and enchantment, of the magic with which the living world infects our lives."

Would you rather watch an eagle or a helicopter?

The damn thing in our area is starting to  hover around backcountry skiers like we are some sort of tourist attraction.

It's beyond annoying, it's dangerous.

There have been 15 fatal helicopter sightseeing crashes since 2003.

When our local helicopter crashes for the 4th time, I don't want to be anywhere near it.

I go to the mountains to experience the natural world.

But the wealthy class gets what the wealthy class wants,   and they want to fly around our wilderness, making a nuisance of themselves.

« Last Edit: 02/16/18, 08:26 AM by Heli-Free North Cascades » Logged

C Hedges
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.