Whistler 1/13 New Snow - No rain

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 Jan 2018 19:51 #230736 by avajane
Whistler 1/13 New Snow - No rain was created by avajane
After of 2 nights of unfulfilled forecasts of snow, snow came by surprise and got me on the Gondo at 8:05 after a 3 minute line.(MLK Weekend) Franz's Meadow has just enough new to trip you up, so i hopped back on the "fresh on groomed express". Second run would have been a secret with 4 more inches, but Green Acres had to do. (Very smooth). Got back on top in time for an early chair on Peak. My call was to run Peak to Creek all the way to the valley. Top was good snow on groomed, and then I got first tracks down Frontier Pass. At the big U Turn instead of staying on the nice groomer, I cut the corner into the OB area on the left and had a mile of untracked 4" that was just barely enough to be good. Tying back into Peak to Creek I was pleased to see enough fresh to give me a great 2-3 more miles back to the Valley. The middle third turned into heavy junk, but then got light enough to be good again. Nothing like 5-6 miles of non stop smooth! Made my day for sure.

I was happy the Gondola line was gone and quickly got back up to the Peak. Symphony was open so I cruised Matthews Traverse cutting the corner and finding skiable wind blown. Lower trees on Symphony were good if taken with care. Next run Boundry Bowl was chopped up, but was still chargeable, and lower Encore Trees were untracked and smooth in my spot.

The line was long and temperature rising, so it was lunchtime. Longish lines kept me happily skiing all the way to the village on good, spring, snow. Lunchtime turned into the Hair Farmers at Dusty's.

3 and a half star day. It was crowded, but I only waited in lines at Symphony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.