Home > Forum > Which tech bindings can transition with a ski pole

Which tech bindings can transition with a ski pole

• joshs
  • [joshs]
More
08 Jan 2018 21:45 #230674 by joshs
I'm in the market for some tech bindings (my first) and it seems like most of them require you to kneel down and twist them by hand to switch between walk & ski modes.  Is that accurate?  I'd prefer one that lets me do it with a ski pole.  I know the Fritschi Vipec allows this; are there any lighter bindings that allow it as well?

Thanks,
-Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
09 Jan 2018 08:33 #230675 by andyski
Great question.

Dynafit speed turn, although maybe the 2.0 doesn't have the nub. If so, you can get a new plate/volcano from b&d.

Plum Guides.

That might be it.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
09 Jan 2018 08:54 #230676 by kamtron
Of course the dynafit radical and all bindings with the flip heel risers can be worked easily by pole

More
09 Jan 2018 09:16 #230677 by Pete_H
But you can't switch between ski mode and tour mode with a pole with the Radical series of bindings. You can only flip up and down the climbing bars.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Jan 2018 09:48 - 09 Jan 2018 09:52 #230678 by Randito
Most "tech" bindings require you to lock the toe piece for touring, this is quick and easy using hands, super fiddly using a ski pole.
If bending over and touching your toes is hard to do,  you might want to work on your flexibility so that fiddling with tech bindings using your hands isn't difficult.

Fritchi Freerides, Marker Barrons or similar non-tech bindings offer alpine step in ease and more reliable safety release.

I have Vipec's on my sidecountry setup. Releasing the healinto tour mode is easily done using a pole. But you still need to lock the toe lever. Switching the heal back to ski mode is,very easy using hands, possible but fiddly using a,ski pole.

• mattfirth
  • [mattfirth]
More
09 Jan 2018 10:19 #230679 by mattfirth
Try this for a reasonably quick transition from downhill to tour mode on tech bindings (I use speed turns).

Push the toe release lever down with your ski pole and keep your pole planted in the lever depression. Lift the front of your foot out of the toe piece and then lift your heel out of the heel piece while holding the ski in place with your pole. Then reinsert your toe back into the toe piece while keeping your heel elevated above the heel piece. Release the pole from the lock down lever, bend over and turn the heel piece to tour mode and lock the toe piece lever.

Takes a little practise but is pretty quick when you get it. Probably took me as much time to type this as to transition.

More
09 Jan 2018 13:12 #230680 by mreid
Almost new Plum Guides, referring for a friend. (bozeman.craigslist.org/spo/d/plum-guide-...ings/6418156203.html). She also wanted to be able to switch with a pole after getting some newer Dynafits and not liking them. After getting these Plums, she saw she needed a lighter DIN (min is 5), and so got the women's version. Plums and the old Verticals are about the only game in town.