Home > Trip Reports > Jan 6, 2018, ONP Eagle

Jan 6, 2018, ONP Eagle

1/6/18
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 1/6/18 11:13am
Dust on breakable crust is what I encountered out there today. Made for next to impossible turns with skinny skis and one head plant. Getting a little old for head plants! Fog broke later in the afternoon affording a little visibility! If it wasn't for the snowshoers breaking trail the slog out would have been a nightmare.

I have seen evidence of slides on Steeple before but none that ripped all the way down to the ground!
Thanks for the report!  Where was the second photo taken?
They make some nice lightweight helmets these days; some are even light enough for you  :)
Sometimes I feel that a helmet is less of a good idea at HR than other touring spots.  Not sure if that's logical....

author=telemack link=topic=39446.msg158942#msg158942 date=1515432750]
Thanks for the report! Where was the second photo taken?
They make some nice lightweight helmets these days; some are even light enough for you  :)
Sometimes I feel that a helmet is less of a good idea at HR than other touring spots.  Not sure if that's logical....

I have a helmet. Bad habits are hard to break :) Probably always smart to carry it and smarter to wear it regardless of the destination.

Second pic was taken looking north towards Angeles. It is close to mile 5.5 at the hairpin where the snow stakes are left in the road for winter before heading down for the last 2 miles to the Obstruction Point Trailhead.

Reply to this TR

jan-6-2018-onp-eagle
runcle
2018-01-06 19:13:20