Home > Forum > Crystal - Tue 1/2

Crystal - Tue 1/2

• Quick foot
  • [Quick foot]
More
02 Jan 2018 16:46 #230581 by Quick foot
Crystal - Tue 1/2 was created by Quick foot
It was a - comes up a comes up a bit short - kind of day.  Visibility: Pretty thick high overcast early which made contrast just a bit off.  It got a bit better, then it got worse, then you got fairly decent in the afternoon. Off Piste areas: They were a bit challenging.  Green Valley Gondi Face was a bit crunchy and rutted, with big bumps towards the bottom.  West face was more of the same.  Short West Face was a bit better.  Right side of MIFB, off of the groomed, was pretty much unskiable. Snorting Elk Bowl was too much work, however there was a nice groomed streak, right down the middle that you could bail on.  I took the chance and went out to Hamburger, the traverse sucked, but not real bad sucked. Hamburger itself was kind of crunchy and lumpy.  Definitely not worth repeat. Powder Bowl,  skiers left, the chute access, around the backside, was rocky, the first 50 feet of the chute was rocky, the rest of it was full of bigrut moguls.  Once you got out of the chute, the snow was pretty good, and if you picked your spot. It wasn't too bad.  Powder bowl, skiers right, wasn't too bad either. Once you got past the ridge crap, it skied okay, but the light was pretty flat in there. Groomers:   LS and MIFB we're good early, a bit icy after the first rush, then better when you could pick non-scraped off, piled up stuff to turn in. There were a few areas that were groomed down to brown streaks.  Some of the mid mountain slopes softened just a bit toward afternoon.
The three big things you need to a fun day are good snow, good visibility, and lack of crowds. Today got one point for lack of crowds, one half point for visibility, and one half point for snow quality. So it was a two out of three day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2018 17:29 #230583 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal - Tue 1/2
Thanks...nice non maketing report....kinda what I expected based on early info...glad I was tired and had chores!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.