Home > Forum > Alpine Lakes High Camp Touring Options

Alpine Lakes High Camp Touring Options

• Gary_H
  • [GaryJan]
More
02 Jan 2018 11:28 #230573 by Gary_H
My wife and have reservations at the Alpine Lakes High Camp this coming weekend. Have not skied this area before and am looking for touring options. We are comfortable skiing from mellow to advanced terrain. Obviously weather and avalanche conditions will dictate what we do.
Thanks in advance for any beta!

Cheers,

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
02 Jan 2018 23:39 #230585 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: Alpine Lakes High Camp Touring Options
There are plenty of touring options from 'green' to 'double diamond' including low angle options for high avy danger days. When it was Scottish Lakes High Camp, they handed out hand-drawn trail maps, and they had many marked trails - just follow the markers on the trees. I assume they still have this, but I could not find it anywhere online. I would suggest contacting them and seeing if they can email you a pdf map or whatever they currently have. Once you get there you'll find it's very easy to get the 'lay of the land' and many easy to find touring options. It's not at all difficult to find your way around - as this is on leased timber land, there are many small older clear cuts which make for nice skiing and easy navigation.

More
03 Jan 2018 16:09 #230595 by Dave_R
Replied by Dave_R on topic Re: Alpine Lakes High Camp Touring Options
A few years back we actually did record a few tracks - and we've skied a bunch that we haven't recorded tracks of. This is what it looks like loaded into Caltopo. I've crudely marked the more "fun" downhill bits in blue. Some open, some treed, some steeper, some more meadow-skippy in nature. Your mileage may vary...

Have fun and let us know what it's like with the new owners!

-Dave
Attachments: