Home > Trip Reports > ONP Dec 9, Hurr Environs

ONP Dec 9, Hurr Environs

12/9/17
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 12/9/17 2:03pm
Smoke and haze filled the interior of the park today thanks to the persistent inversion we are experiencing. I guess it's not just smoke from wild fires we have to get used to. The snow depth is somewhat deceptive as it is measured from a stake that is well protected from sun and wind and not really a good gauge of what snow you will find to make turns on.

Yes, there is plenty of snow in shady and sheltered zones but the heat (57 degrees Thursday) and sun is taking it's toll on exposed southerly aspects. Powderesque and faceted snow can be found in protected and shaded northerly aspects but is mainly a mixed bag of thin cover with lurking sharks, wind pack, breakable crust, powder, frost hoar, proto corn, 2 1/2 foot pin wheels that could knock you on your kiester, a real medley; perfect if you like diversity and challenging skiing!
That third photo looks like spring skiing! 
Were you seeing just fog and clouds, or was there actually smoke?

The smoke was from the LA fires: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2017/12/los-angeles-smoke-reaches-northwest.html

It mine as well have been spring skiing! Skinning shirtless, corn  etc. Those pics of the Hill were taken on the 8th. The smoke moved in on the 9th! I thought I smelled smoke. There was a reddish hue, smog like.  I should have trusted my sniffer!

Thanks for the weather info! Amazing that smoke from Southern Cal would be making it's way up here this time of year!

Reply to this TR

onp-dec-9-hurr-environs
runcle
2017-12-09 22:03:44