Home > Forum > DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals?

DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals?

• joshs
  • [joshs]
More
09 Dec 2017 11:09 #230321 by joshs
DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals? was created by joshs
I bought a pair of La Sportiva Sideral 2.0's online and I was thinking of molding them using Intuition's rice method (intuitionliners.com/fitting/home-fitting-instructions/).  Anyone have an idea what heating time I should use?  Heating times on Intuition's chart (near the end of the article) range anywhere from 4-12 minutes, so I'm not sure what to pick.  Should I just start with something low-ish, and try again with a higher time if it doesn't seem soft enough?

Thanks,
-Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Dec 2017 12:57 #230322 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals?
Suggest rereading the instructions again and checking the wattage on your microwave. The time ranges are dependent on the power level of the microwave. The great think about thge rice method is that you don't risk overlooking the liners as much to older method of heating the liners in an oven or with a heat gun.

Based on wattage in manual or back panel of microwave, heat rice stocking for appropriate
time:
100-900W=7min, 1000-1100W=5 min, 1200-1250W=4 min.

• joshs
  • [joshs]
More
09 Dec 2017 13:12 #230323 by joshs
Replied by joshs on topic Re: DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals?
I'm referring to the part that says "Let boot stand with rice stocking inside for 4-12 min depending on liner model," not the time the rice is heated in the microwave. Any idea about that?

Thanks,
-Josh

More
09 Dec 2017 13:36 #230324 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals?
Again the instructions reference the liner model/time of heat in the boot .  Lets say your model isn't on the instructions. Then is your liner thick or thin? Id  put my money on 8-10 after looking in the chart

I do know that whisky and heating liners in a home oven isn't a good mix. I used my sisters oven in salt lake to heat some liners after a few whiskeys and put the damn oven on Self Clean cycle .

More
09 Dec 2017 13:56 #230325 by DonD
Replied by DonD on topic Re: DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals?
You might want to consider using boiling water in a turkey basting bag - I've used both methods and have had better results with the water - smells better too...The water seems to fill the voids more efficiently resulting in more equal heat distribution. I'd only use this method if the liner is already molded to the shell - as half the job is already done and you won't get as much heat as you would if using a liner heating oven. Use the thinnest sock possible and a toe cap - maybe order Intuition's molding kit?

Do an internet search - its been discussed on TGR and you can compare approaches and people's experiences.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Dec 2017 15:41 #230328 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: DIY molding La Sportiva Siderals?
The nice thing about the rice method is that there isn't much risk of overcooking the liner. If you left the rice in there for a 1/2 hour it would have cooled off a bit and maybe not mold as fully.

The 4 minute time is for a kids liner. Look on the intuition website and look at their liners and compare it to the liners for your boots. Or just leave the rice in for 12 minutes.