Home > Forum > Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice

Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice

• allezaaron
  • [allezaaron]
More
06 Dec 2017 22:24 #230284 by allezaaron
Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice was created by allezaaron
I cobbled together my first AT rig including Dynafit Radical STs and Salomon MTN Lab skis. The skis were already mounted once with Radicals, but the holes were plugged. So the decision to make is whether it is better to try to re-use the first set of holes, or to drill a new set of holes +1.5 cm. I guess it is a trade-off between integrity of the mount on the one hand, vs running the skis balanced how they were intended on the other. I'm having a hard time getting a feel for how much more turny/less stable they would be mounted forward.

The skis are 184 cm, I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, and this is my first time on alpine gear (I've been attempting to tele for a couple of years) so easier turns might not be a bad thing, as long as they aren't hooking all over the place.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Dec 2017 09:33 #230287 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice
How were the plugs installed/from what material are they made?

More
07 Dec 2017 12:29 #230291 by river59
Replied by river59 on topic Re: Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice
Does the original mount match your BSL?

If I were you, and the original mount is pretty close to where you want to be, I would install inserts (Google: binding freedom, or quiver killers).

If you aren't familiar with inserts, they are basically threaded inserts that allow you to swap bindings from one ski to another repeatedly using machine screws instead of standard binding wood screws. The inserts are a little bit wider than a standard mounting hole, so they are perfect for using existing mounting holes (plugged or not).

I use them in every ski that I own now and have never had a problem with them. They are a bit of a chore to install, but once they are in you shouldn't have to do any maintenance to them. If you use the drill/tap guide, and the properly sized stepped bit (4.1 mm x 9.5 mm, I think) installation isn't too bad at all.

If you do go this route, I would go with BF inserts over QK. The slotted top makes them a little bit easier to back out and set just right during installation. BF also sells all of the tools needed to make installation pretty simple.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
07 Dec 2017 12:37 #230292 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice
If it's the exact same BSL, you can either do inserts or just install at +1 cm and call it good. 1.5 cm is more than enough.
1 cm forward is probably something you won't notice at all, especially given you are new to alpine skiing, and your skis are longish for your height.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Dec 2017 15:02 #230296 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice
If the old holes align with where you want to mount your bindings.... try popping the plugs out with a knife. If they don't pop out easily. Use a center punch to make a starting dent and drill them out using a binding drill bit (or regular 1/8 inch bit with tape wrapped on as a depth guide)

Recommend using J.B.Weld metal filled epoxy to glue in the screws. Wear nitrile gloves while working with epoxy and use a tooth pick to work glue into the hole.

If your boot length is a lot different, consider only moving the heel piece. If the toe piece placement is way off where you want it, you could move it forward or back by drilling only two new holes and using the old toward holes for the rear( or vice versa)

Fore/aft placement does make a difference, but most folks can't tell any difference in performance for moves less than an inch or so.

• allezaaron
  • [allezaaron]
More
08 Dec 2017 22:29 #230320 by allezaaron
Replied by allezaaron on topic Re: Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice
Thanks everyone for the info! The guy before me had them plugged and I perhaps foolishly didn't ask how that was done, so I really don't know. I think the BSL is close enough to be within the adjustable range of the heel piece, but the previous guy's boots were a little smaller.

I'll bring them to a shop to size up the plugs and see if they were done in a way that the holes can be re-used.

Also it is good to know that a centimeter forward probably won't make that big a difference if the holes can't be re-used.

More
10 Dec 2017 18:17 #230337 by khyak
Replied by khyak on topic Re: Salomon MTN Lab Mounting Advice
Are you having a shop mount your skis? I wouldn't worry about it. They will find room to mount. That ski is too long for you. You should be on the 176, especially if you are primarily touring. You would probably enjoy a ski that turned easier. I have the mtn lab in a 176. Same height. It's a pretty burly ski. Not overly playful.