Home > Forum > Worldwide road trip

Worldwide road trip

• Mr.Doober
  • [Mr.Doober]
More
30 Nov 2017 09:56 #158037 by Mr.Doober
Worldwide road trip was created by Mr.Doober
The family and I are planning a year long worldwide road trip starting next June and would like to incorporate some skiing along the way. If anyone has some favorite destinations anywhere but in Europe or North America (we will be trying to avoid home and Europe), please feel free to share some details...touring, lift skiing, lodging, best time of year, cost, etc. Also trying to figure out logistics of having gear shipped or rental/purchase possibilities so we don't have to lug gear around with us. We are looking to travel light, but if we find someplace we really like, settle in for a while and get comfortable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
01 Dec 2017 21:33 #158073 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Worldwide road trip
What a fun year, what a fun topic. What a life!
Limited personal experience outside your excluded turf. Surely you're considering Hokkaido in January. Recently heard of rental vehicle based touring in Iceland in April/May that sounds like a great alternative to Narvik, etc. Arctic Norway.
Highly recommended: While in SA in our summer, be sure to get touring in Reserva Nacional Malalcahuello, Lonquimay, Chile, in the Araucania region, accessed from the Corralco ski area. Absolutely magical, and no one else touring.

More
02 Dec 2017 16:20 #158095 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: Worldwide road trip
Kamchatka

• flyingmonkey
  • [flyingmonkey]
More
15 Dec 2017 09:27 #158389 by flyingmonkey
Replied by flyingmonkey on topic Re: Worldwide road trip
I highly recommend skiing in Chile Aug/Sep. Had some of the best turns of my life this past August. We road tripped around central Chile skiing almost every resort and some backcountry. PM me if you want more info.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Dec 2017 16:39 #158398 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Worldwide road trip
By road trip I figure you mean driving a vehicle of some sort? Perhaps Camper/RVish? If thats the case consider the Sierra Nevada in southern Spain. That's a pleasant area to hang out in the winter months, but you don't have to drive very far to reach some high mountains. The skiing isn't Kootenay powder, but it is certainly family friendly.

sierranevada.es/enrd/winter/the-ski-resort/

If your travels will take you to Asia. Hokkiado in Feburary. Niseko is pretty westernized with lots of Australians. Other resorts cater more to locals, which has advantages in terms of being cheaper (lift tickets $35-$45 usd) and in leaving the offpiste snow mostly untouched. Western style accommodations have western prices, but Japanese style accommodations much cheaper (If you can sleep on a thin futon anyway)

• Mr.Doober
  • [Mr.Doober]
More
15 Dec 2017 18:27 #158402 by Mr.Doober
Replied by Mr.Doober on topic Re: Worldwide road trip
We will be traveling by planes, trains, automobiles, boats, bikes, buses and whatever else we find. I appreciate any comments on the subject as our trip will be very fluid and the more first hand information I can get...the better.