Home > Forum > Central Oregon for the Holidays

Central Oregon for the Holidays

• sgertz
  • [sgertz]
More
29 Nov 2017 11:45 #158011 by sgertz
Central Oregon for the Holidays was created by sgertz
I'll be in Central Oregon for the Holidays and want to do some touring. Does anyone know of any good tours off of Santiam or Tombstone Pass that would have decent coverage in late December? I've looked at Potato Hill while driving by and it's always looked incredibly thin.

Also interested in ideas around Sisters/Bend area that aren't the usual (Tumalo, Todd Lake, Vista Butte, Kwohl Butte, etc). I don't have access to a snowmobile, but I wouldn't mind making some friends  ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2017 13:53 #158013 by dfhkvs
Replied by dfhkvs on topic Re: Central Oregon for the Holidays
All depends on what happens in the next few weeks! Skiing from Santiam Pass north towards TFJ is nice, and super mellow. From Tombstone, the usual is to go ski laps on Cone Peak. if the weather cooperates, consider going and skiing Mt. Thielsen. Access is from a plowed sno-park. From Willamette Pass, you can ski Maiden Peak. Tam McArthur Rim is popular; depends on road access.

Dave.

• sgertz
  • [sgertz]
More
29 Nov 2017 17:06 #158027 by sgertz
By Christmas time, Cascade Lakes Hwy is closed, so that puts Thielsen and Willamette Pass out of the question. Tam Rim is good, but more of an overnight trip. I guess I didn't include it in my original post, but I'm mainly looking for info on day trips.

More
29 Nov 2017 21:05 #158031 by dfhkvs
Replied by dfhkvs on topic Re: Central Oregon for the Holidays
With all respect, re-check your map. Willamette Pass is a major highway and open all year round. And, Thielsen is on Hwy 138 which is maintained all winter long.

You are correct that CLH is closed, but the options I listed are not on CLH.

Good luck and have fun.

• sgertz
  • [sgertz]
More
30 Nov 2017 09:46 #158036 by sgertz
Replied by sgertz on topic Re: Central Oregon for the Holidays
You're right, I looked at the map and realized you could take 97. I never paid much attention to the highways that far south ;D