telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/18/17, 06:30 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Powder Alert -- 11/27/17
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Powder Alert -- 11/27/17  (Read 685 times)
nordique
5Member

Powder Alert -- 11/27/17
« on: 11/27/17, 08:38 PM »

Do you follow Larry Schick?

Powder Alert Nov 27, 2017

Hello skiers,

Great news: Expect cooler weather, with snow returning this week.

My, oh my, the mild air and high snowlevels of the last week was pain full. Ouch…and we had such a good start the first couple of days of the season for many ski areas. Hey, it's still only November. In the last week, every ski area lost at least some snow, but the rain on snow didn’t wipe us out entirely. Mt Baker’s deeper base held up well, as did some other ski areas. Check area websites for operations and hours. A little new snow fell last night down to about 3000 ft, for most ski areas. Respectable new snow is on the way this week, with more sustained lower snow levels, as a cooler westerly flow is aimed at us.

Three storms are in line to help us out this week and deepen the snowpack. Snow levels will be 2500-4000 ft, through Thursday and lowering toward the weekend. The first new snowstorm looks best and will start early Tuesday (SL 3500, 4-10” new). Then next in line will be Thursday (SL 2000-3500ft, 2-5" new). Then later Friday and Saturday (SL 1500-2500, 1-5” new).

I am somewhat confident in the snowlevels staying below 3500 - 4,000 ft and gradually lowering, later in the week. Expect the rain/snow mix only on the lower slopes, and mainly early Tuesday (lowering later in the day). The expected snowfall amounts have more uncertainty, but we won’t get skunked with no new snow for the week. I’d say, by Saturday, the five day snowfall total would be 1-2 ft new. Snowfall totals won’t go much lower and it could go higher with stalling or a convergence zone forming.

Whistler will have mostly snow from mid mountain to the alpine, with rain in the Village. But late week cooling will mean snow in the Village ( and a little on the road from Squamish) by the weekend. Several storms will visit Whistler Tuesday – Saturday worth 1-2 feet of new by Saturday – and that is quality new snow! Remember Whistler is farther north and slightly higher in elevation, so snow levels tend to be lower than Washington and Oregon by about 1000ft. However, snow level and snow fall amounts can vary widely, depending on; elevation, storm orientation and other local weather factors like cold inflow of continental air from the east.

Larry Schick, meteorologist
The Grand Poobah of Powder
filbo

Re: Powder Alert -- 11/27/17
« Reply #1 on: 11/28/17, 05:03 PM »

Yo Larry   Good Work!
nordique
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 11/28/17, 07:06 PM »

https://powderpoobah.com/

His alerts always make my day!
pipedream

« Reply #3 on: 11/29/17, 12:46 PM »

Both Larry Schick & Cliff Mass missed yesterday's easterly flow that resulted in 10-12" of snow atop I-90.

My rule of thumb has been that when NOAA's point forecast calls for an east wind, mixed rain/snow but "little to no" accumulation, it'll dump snow. Sometimes it results in freezing rain, but usually only in the case of a warm front colliding with a cold east wind, which was not the case yesterday.

I do wonder why it's so hard for our local forecasters to predict these events. Is it a modeling issue? Not enough data points in the right places? A probability nightmare w/ modern ensemble methodologies?

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
filbo

« Reply #4 on: 11/29/17, 06:28 PM »

I looked at the radar yesterday morning before I went out and could see it was dumping at Baker and Snoqualmie.   The two forecasters you mentioned are usually pretty accurate, hey no body's perfect.
pipedream

« Reply #5 on: 11/30/17, 04:18 PM »

Well today's "mixed rain/snow" has been heavy white stuff falling to the tune of 4-6", even on the lowest of slopes.

I don't expect NOAA's point forecasts to get this right, NWAC was on the money this time, but both Larry & Cliff were remarkably mum.

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.