Home > Trip Reports > November 19, 2017, Stevens Pass

November 19, 2017, Stevens Pass

11/19/17
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by telemack on 11/21/17 2:01am
    I went with a young splitboarding friend for his first skinning experience.  No fresh snow, but Tye Mill was open for the second day and Mill Valley still closed, so we did 2 laps on Jupiter and then Aquarius.  Deep coverage, no base, but we never saw a rock on the back side.  Creeks were either filled in or easily crossable.  Skiers' left of the runs were soft and heavy, but we found a sun crust and another crust 3" below.  The snow was hardening on the second run, with ferry-radius turns on breakable crust, so we only went halfway down. 
    We returned to the car for our heavier boards and finished the day from 3 to 4 with a ride on all the open lifts (Kehr's opened around 2 for the first time this year).  Snow started around 2:30, but it was raining hard on the drive down by 3600'.
When did they rename Big Chief to Kehr's Chair? Lame.

It was renamed about 5 years ago after John Kehr, one of Stevens's founder/owners.  I still prefer big Chief, but he was important in the early days.

author=telemack link=topic=39149.msg157898#msg157898 date=1511368835]
It was renamed about 5 years ago after John Kehr, one of Stevens's founder/owners.

Bruce Kehr. He installed and ran the rope tow with Don Adams in 1937-38.

With his wife Virginia, he managed Stevens Pass ski area for many decades.

Considering the amount of time and effort the Kehrs invested in the ski area, I think the rename is fitting.

Thanks for stopping by on the way home. Great to see you!

Im probably in the minority of people who stand in that line frequently, and liked the name change.

Mack, I think you might be confusing John Kerscher.. Khers chair:p? Similarly named old ski pioneers. :)

Thanks Lowell.  I approve of the name change but still like to call it Big Chief!  It was always my go-to lift when I was gettin' on top of the tele turn.

Reply to this TR

november-19-2017-stevens-pass
telemack
2017-11-21 10:01:46