Home > Forum > New Snowmaking at Crystal Mountain

New Snowmaking at Crystal Mountain

• BigMountainSkier
  • [BigMountainSkier]
More
20 Nov 2017 19:37 #230144 by BigMountainSkier
New Snowmaking at Crystal Mountain was created by BigMountainSkier
I'm wondering if anyone has comments or information on the new snowmaking at Crystal Mountain?

To reference what I'm talking about, Crystal installed a lot of new snowmaking guns and towers. From what I could tell on my first day up, they installed one tower each at the lift line for Rainier Express and Chinook Express. They installed a couple new snowguns on towers at the bottom of the Forest Queen Runs. A couple new ones in Discovery Meadow. And about 9 snowguns on Quicksilver. I didn't ski Tinkerbell or Upper Arwine's but they say they installed some new ones there.

As I looked at them, I was a little unimpressed. I would have thought that two or three more guns at the top of Green Valley would make sense to keep the ridge covered even during snow droughts. I would have liked to seen one at the top of Chair 6 as that gets rocky most all winter long.

Most importantly, I'm really confused about the 9 new snowguns on Quicksilver. I have no idea what their plans are there. Stockpile snow and push it to other runs? Seems expensive. Also I really don't understand why they put the guns in the middle of the trail instead of off to one side, or installed portable snowmakers that they haul into the middle of the run at night.

Would appreciate any insight that one has.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.