Home > Trip Reports > November 18, 2017, Snoqualmie Pass

November 18, 2017, Snoqualmie Pass

11/18/17
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 11/18/17 10:04am
Fun sunny day out, west of the Pass.

Snow began on the trail at 3k, skinning at 3.2k, off the trail at 3.6k, pole-deep at 4.2k. Insistent tree-bombing, both wet (in the sun) and dry, all day.

Little instability noted. A little bit of loose-wet in the sun, one larger apparent loose-wet on an east face. Test slopes, cornice-drops, and skiing all produced negligible results.

Windslab exists on both east and west sides of south ridges, but the bond seemed surprisingly good. Expect a soft suncrust on solar slopes.

Skiing in the shade yielded boot+ crushed-velvet pow above 4.5k. Pow-hunters tomorrow ahead of the storm might look for high, sheltered, and shady, away from tree drips, to maximize ski quality.

Winds at mid-day were light and out of the east, moving only a trace of snow over south ridges.

Edit: Photos added. Don't overstoke on the stoke.

Is photo number 3 somewhere on the HiBox ridge? What a line! Reminds me of the back of Dragontail, but steeper and longer.
Stellar photos.

oh good you changed it to west of the pass... I was beginning to think you were a master of atmospheric optic bending to get a pic of the big K like that east of the pass...

nice pics!

I grew up on the east coast; closer to the ocean is east... Oops. :).

What lens/camera do you use?  Those are stupendous images!

Thanks -- these three were on a full-frame camera, using an older 70-300mm lens, mostly at 300mm. The key bit is the good visibility!

author=Charlie Hagedorn link=topic=39131.msg157839#msg157839 date=1511069470]
I grew up on the east coast; closer to the ocean is east... Oops. :).

I grew up in the Midwest, mountains are always to the west. I still get it wrong too. Feels weird saying going east to the mountains.

Great shots. I agree. That does look a little like dragon tail at the top.

Great photo of Kaleetan!

author=Jake the Brit link=topic=39131.msg157837#msg157837 date=1511067100]
Is photo number 3 somewhere on the HiBox ridge? What a line! Reminds me of the back of Dragontail, but steeper and longer.
Stellar photos.

Looks like Kaleteen to me

Reply to this TR

november-18-2017-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2017-11-18 18:04:40