Home > Forum > Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2

Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2

• DB_Cooper
  • [DB_Cooper]
More
17 Nov 2017 07:28 #230106 by DB_Cooper
Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2 was created by DB_Cooper
Been going to Greenwater for years for my major tunes, but spending more time at Stevens the past few years. Can anytime recommend a good place for a grind and tune between Monroe and Leavenworth?  Figure SPSS is the best bet, but couldn't find any reviews on shop services.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Nov 2017 14:07 #230110 by Randito

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Nov 2017 15:11 #230114 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2
^^^^ What he said. I just did pair 5 of the season today :-) I have yet to have a base grind, but I usually don't tear up my bases much.

• DB_Cooper
  • [DB_Cooper]
More
17 Nov 2017 17:41 #230121 by DB_Cooper
Replied by DB_Cooper on topic Re: Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2
Come on guys!  I already do all my own ski waxing and edge tuning. I rotate my own tires and change the oil. I've built a pygmy rowboat, one kayak, and am working on the wife's kayak now.  I do all my own home maintenance with the exception of electrical.  I even make my own a coffee! Can't I have one luxury? 😁

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Nov 2017 18:03 #230122 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2
Do you do your own motorcycle modifications and maintenance? LOL

It is hard to find a local full service ski shop. And even harder to find one that will do it competently.

Just for fun, read Skialper to see how they prep new skis!

Good Luck!

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Nov 2017 19:34 #230126 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2
Base/stone grinding makes a ski slower without a lot of meticulous hand work afterwards to remove microscopic P-Tex hairs. If you are already waxing and edging , what do you mean by "tuning" Patching P-Tex damage ?

• DB_Cooper
  • [DB_Cooper]
More
18 Nov 2017 16:19 #230129 by DB_Cooper
Replied by DB_Cooper on topic Re: Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2
Well after the public flogging I ordered the base flattening tool from Tognar.  I already do my own ptex repairs, but have not had the gumption to do the flattening part. Usually waited till I had a fair amount of damage and would get a grind.   Got a pair of Coombas that are acting weird, so I was looking for a good shop, but I guess I'll fix em myself. 

BTW Andrew, no motorbike☠️, but I do all my own mountain bike and road bike wrenching. 😀

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
19 Nov 2017 06:55 #230134 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2
A nice early season run down 7th heaven should do the trick. I got mine ground on the diving board friday... And me dog got her nails done at the same time.

I honestly can't recommend spss for high-end ski work. I took my board in once and they fixed a core shot with muffler putty.
They are more of a snowboard shop anyways. I love them, and spend my money there. Great small shop, good deals, but wouldn't take my ski friends..😉

Not sure, but I think the shop and the rental/service side are ran independently.

Also Not sure, but I think the rental place behind the Mann station might do tuning. He is more ski oriented, and has a big rental fleet he maintains.

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
19 Nov 2017 20:37 #230137 by AlpineRose
Replied by AlpineRose on topic Re: Ski Tune recommendations - Hwy 2
I'm sure you are eager to DIY using your new base tool.  But... a ski instructor once told me Greenwater Skis and World Cup Skier Service in Bellevue were the only places he would bring his skis for tuning.  WCSS is not on Hwy 2, but it's closer to Stevens than Greenwater.  They've been in business for many years, and are considered an institution by local ski racers and other avid skiers.  Too late for this year, but they offer great late summer discounts on tuning.  They do bikes in the summer.