Crystal - 11/15/17 Opening Day

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Nov 2017 14:03 - 17 Nov 2017 14:49 #230086 by ddk
Crystal - 11/15/17 Opening Day was created by ddk
Yee Haa I'm back to lazy person Ski reporting!  Arrived way too early but glad I did. Limited options with only CHex and FQex running ( and Disco...where were you Dean), I only skied Downhill and Queens off of FQex (plus end of morning run down Rolling Knowles (nice), Stumpfarm and Skid road - what is its new name?, the very bottom snow was pretty crappy where I went).  First few runs were nice boot deep untracked and the main runs ended up being nice quality packed pow (who would have thunk?).  Crowd was very light, other than the early morning CHex line up, there really never was any kind of line, pretty much ski up and onto the lift - nice.  Snowing pretty hard all morning, it was not supper dry snow, but I did not get any wetter after leaving the base area (actually started to dry out).  Winds not to bad on FQex.  Snow was getting deeper, coverage is very good, no rocks on the main runs of FQex.  Lots of very happy folks. Very short ski day (long day otherwise), quit at 11, sore quads (huh?) and other recent health issues got me off the mountain early - save body for the next few days.  Snowing at the base (but wet snow). Had 2 or 3 inches on my truck.  Not the best opening, but satisfying anyway to get things going.

Other - Checked out what was happening in CB lodge, the new bar looks very nice as does the Pizza oven, but looks like a lot of work to get everything ready for "real" opening. Base lodge was pretty typical, except for the pizza which was a whole lot better looking than last year.  Lots of happy employees running around working hard.

Other other - Parking was typical, huge Pay lot mostly empty except for the massive snow pile that took up the middle third.  Rest of A was full down the road almost to C and B had 3 double rows of cars.  Snow on the road half way down the blvd when I left.
Good start to the season (for my legs).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2017 07:52 #230107 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Re: Crystal - 11/15 Opening Day
Spot on and it was good to be up.

Day one of the rest of my ski life
11/15/2017 at Crystal Mt, was the first day of skiing in my retirement life. Boot Top lower mountain skiing was just what I needed. Must get fitter and stronger and pick up my yoga...... Looking forward to everyday in the mountains.
The hill looks good and the redcoats have been busy getting all the stuff up, Thank you

• skibacks
  • [skibacks]
More
17 Nov 2017 14:27 #230111 by skibacks
Replied by skibacks on topic Re: Crystal - 11/15 Opening Day
Thanks for the report, desk and kudos on your retirement Big Bill. Looking forward to both lessSkibacks & lessBill 😉. Keep coming back! Maybe see you guys after Thanksgiving.

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Nov 2017 14:48 #230113 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal - 11/15 Opening Day

Spot on and it was good to be up.

Day one of the rest of my ski life
11/15/2017 at Crystal Mt, was the first day of skiing in my retirement life. Boot Top lower mountain skiing was just what I needed. Must get fitter and stronger and pick up my yoga...... Looking forward to everyday in the mountains.
The hill looks good and the redcoats have been busy getting all the stuff up, Thank you

Congrats...I've had a great 8 years of retirement....