Home > Forum > TAY Hall of Fame - online edition

TAY Hall of Fame - online edition

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
14 Nov 2017 22:00 #230079 by cmosetick
TAY Hall of Fame - online edition was created by cmosetick
I'd like to use this thread to collect a list of links or thread highlights to posts that you think should be in the TAY Hall of Fame - online edition...

There are some truly classic trip reports, posts and threads that have appeared here over the last 15 years and I would love to hear from those who still frequent here, and even those who are new... What are some of your favorites posts?

I know that this web site, the prospect of deep powder in winter, and glorious spring skiing has inspired at least some folks to move to or frequent Washington, and anything you found on this web site that might have inspired you is also welcome on this thread!

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
15 Nov 2017 07:06 #230082 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition
Depends on the metric.

Been lots of spectular trips, photos, adventures,,, it would be hard to choose. But a one hit wonder makes a hall of famer not.

I've formulated my own list of personal hero's, local icons, and people that I think add that extra something special to our community. Did not have to put much thought into this one. Below is one of the more inspiring reports I have read, from a true turns all year hall of famer. Match this guy for longevity, passion, and grit...

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=25175.0

More
15 Nov 2017 10:24 #230083 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition
First thought was that the site could do with less looking in the past and promoting individuals... then opened up the trip report and couldn't help but agree that he represents the best of TAY.

• Eric Lindahl
  • [ejlindahl]
More
16 Nov 2017 22:37 - 16 Nov 2017 22:51 #230105 by Eric Lindahl
Replied by Eric Lindahl on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition
Well, I'll make a contribution.  I've skied powder on Table mountain in September but, preseason, when I get that first inkling of stoke I always go back and look at this post; Colman Glacier Oct 5, 2007.  www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=7892.0  Kind of an ugly link but thats the best this luddite can do.  What a great thing we have here in Washington (or BC too)

And Yup, Zap is an inspiration.

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
09 Dec 2017 18:32 #230330 by wickstad
Replied by wickstad on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition
You're admitting that the search function doesn't work very well? I'd like to see RonJs cover of the rolling stone thread that featured tay crossovers making the cover of Telemarktips.

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
09 Dec 2017 18:36 #230331 by wickstad
We've also lost some posters over the years like Benman and Telemon. Maybe some kind of tribute to those who have passed yet passed on stoke as well.

More
09 Dec 2017 21:12 #230332 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition

"On the cover of the rolling stone " thread .

With some posts and pics of Telemon.

Unfortunately none of the Telemark tips pics are retrievable as far as I know. I have a few saved here and there in my files

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ndex.php?topic=946.0

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
27 Dec 2017 15:42 #230504 by samthaman
Replied by samthaman on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition

We've also lost some posters over the years like Benman and Telemon.  Maybe some kind of tribute to those who have passed yet passed on stoke as well.

The first person I met when after deciding to move to WA and driving cross country solo with very little in the bank and no job was Telemon. He couldn't have been more excited to welcome me and was so fired up that I'd moved out. We met hiking to artists point and skied blueberry chutes together, then said goodbye. A week or two later I read about his accident. I didn't really know him, I hardly even met him, but I think about that interaction all the time and how much of an impact a friendly face can have on someone. I'd love to see a Telemon tribute.

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
28 Dec 2017 21:03 #230520 by wickstad

• stoudema
  • [stoudema]
More
03 Jan 2018 18:57 #230604 by stoudema
Replied by stoudema on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition
I would second the thread for "On the Cover of Rolling Stone." A few of my photos even graced the cover:) That thread spanned what I consider to be some of the best times on TAY.

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
08 Jan 2018 13:19 #230659 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition
Perhaps not in the purview of the OP's intentions; Billy The Mountain's thread seeking support to preserve Chair 2 and devolving into semi-coherent enlightenment of Schluct was fun and unique:

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=17818.0

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
08 Jan 2018 13:24 #230661 by Snow Bell
With about 150K views, Amar's 2008 Tahoma epic may warrant inclusion:

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=10009.0

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
08 Jan 2018 13:45 #230662 by Snow Bell
One more...
Jason H and Kyle have contributed several great TRs. This one was a favorite of mine:

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...24.msg57357#msg57357

More
19 Sep 2019 21:07 #233040 by Nick-BC
Replied by Nick-BC on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition

The first person I met when after deciding to move to WA and driving cross country solo with very little in the bank and no job was Telemon. He couldn't have been more excited to welcome me and was so fired up that I'd moved out. We met hiking to artists point and skied blueberry chutes together, then said goodbye. A week or two later I read about his accident. I didn't really know him, I hardly even met him, but I think about that interaction all the time and how much of an impact a friendly face can have on someone. I'd love to see a Telemon tribute.

I first met Telemon (Bob Wiebe) on line in 2001 on the old Telemarktips website. A bunch of us telewhackers from Vancouver BC organized a trip to Mount Cain (a North Vancouver Island jewel) for their Telemark Festival in February of that year on Ttips. On the drive up Bob kept us entertained with a non stop stream of stories of trips he'd taken. Over the years we skied together at Whistler, Cypress
Baker, Mount St. Helens, Mount Adams , Rainier. Some of my best ski memories are skiing the volcanos in the late Spring when we would sleep in the back of his Explorer in the parking lots.

RIP Bob

More
21 Sep 2019 20:21 #233044 by Nick-BC
Replied by Nick-BC on topic Re: TAY Hall of Fame - online edition
I forgot to mention Mount Cheam, where we bumped into Silas and had a fun day skiing together.

I would probably have been with Telemon on that last trip, but I was in Ontario visiting my daughter and family. I had just got back and heard the news.

The number of people at his memorial ceremony in Fort Langley were a testament to the number of people he knew through Scouts and skiing.

My abiding memory of him is, when we set out on a ski day, he would have this bottle of deep green liquid, which he would chugalug as we drove to the trail head. Apparently, it was a combination of a lot of good stuff for your body, but to me it looked that pond scum :)