Home > Trip Reports > November 10, 2017, Rock Mountain

November 10, 2017, Rock Mountain

11/10/17
Posted by bropka on 11/13/17 2:27am
My son (Alex) and I did Rock Mountain from the Hwy 2 side on Friday.  Type 2 fun all the way.  There was a dense inversion in the Nason Creek area all day to about 3,500.  Snow at the highway but not enough to skin.  We transitioned from hiking to skinning at 5,000 ft, climbed to around 6,200 and skied the north facing drainage down to Schilling Creek above Rock Lake.

In the areas that stayed shaded we found excellent dry boot-top powder over a good firm base covering most of the rocks.  Lots of roller-balls coming down off the south facing cliffs and chutes due to sun exposure along with a light crust/hoar layer on some of the SE facing exposures.  The long day was completed with a fun slog by headlamp in the dark down the 1,000 switchbacks back to the car.
Did you happen to get any pictures?

A couple of pictures here at my kid's Insta account.
Alex Ropka Instagram

Sweet!

I'm behind the 8 ball this year. I just finally pulled my gear out and dusted it off last night.

Nice pics Alex.

You have good timing ale! I am checking out the snotel data from last night. Many sites look offline or questionable but others look like they went from rock ski season to powderboard overnight.

Reply to this TR

november-10-2017-rock-mountain
bropka
2017-11-13 10:27:10